X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gear reduction unit

Does the gear reduction unit require filling separately on the QT case? Whats the correct procedure for shifting between 4 hi and 4 lo and also using the E drive switch?

hi bullzeye....

I believe the transfer case gets about two quarts in one fill hole. and there is another fill hole for the low range reduction unit. It gets about a pint...

So yes, seperate I believe but Im just starting out like you on this quadratrac stuff

Comment

hey bullz... go read this post an look at the pics. This guy is the Qaudratrac guru.

http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=138154

Comment

low-range is filled separately. You put approximately 2 quarts in the main case, then add a quart into the low-range.

Comment

Thanks, the tear down wasn't to bad it went pretty quick, the old chain had a lot of slack in it, I think I need some new bearings also, but as far as taking it apart it was pretty straight forward. The guy that worked on this case before sealed the drain hole between the two seals that butt each other with RTV! It was all over the inside of the case too.

Comment

I took mine for the same thing an he filled up transfer case but did not loosen reduction unit an drain an fill. So now I got to drain reduction unit an refill everything I guess. Dang mechanics

Comment

Bullseye. Did u have access to a lift or did it on the ground?

Comment

I jacked it up on some jack stands on each axle all four sides and dropped everything out, jeep was off the ground about 4 inches used a jack to hold the tyranny (rebuilt the 400 also) up in place and then had some one help me lift the TC in it was a pretty quick process. I had plenty of room to work. I thought I would have to drop the tank but it cleared. It was close though.

Comment

Think I need new u joints sounds like a binding in the back and some thing popping when I turn ad slow speeds, not sure it but I checked everything out ad the U joints are the only thing left it could be? Its only when I turn that it does it.

Comment

The more I think about it I think I will buy and a couple of extra Quadratrac cases and try to find the best way to eliminate the vacuum shifter, a guy in Norway did it, figure I can practice on one first. I found a guy in Omaha who has 5 cases!

Comment

While ya under there inspect or replace the transmission mount. Only 5 dollars at napa. If this is worn your jeep COULD jump out of drive under load

Comment

Ya I need one badly, I hope to order a PT kit next month I used the money this month to by another jeep. lol plus need some bearings for the QT

Comment

we have trans mounts here:
                          http://www.bjsoffroad.com/prod-56.htm

Also, for the banging and popping when turning, it may be that you are in e-drive.

Comment

If you run accross the linkage level assembly for shiftingin into low rangle let me know. I want to convert my 74 from pull cable to the lever on the floor. I need everything back to the transfer case

Comment

Ryan, I put the case back in but do not have the vacuum line hooked up and the fork is not locked in position as if the vacuum was engaged, I too thought the same thing but I also took the clips of the vacuum diaphragm and the little ball bearing out the other day. If it is in lo range I can shift into park and any other gear but if I try to shift out of low range it will not go into high, and park is difficult also it makes a weird noise like something is still moving in the tranny not the TC, but I turn it off the jeep and shift in to 4 hi then it will. The TC will not stop spinning to shift from lo to hi either way, I am confused? It did this before I dropped the tranny and TC to rebuild them

Comment

Working...
                              X