X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dana 20 Swap in

If i swap a dana 20 from a 1973 wagoneer into a 1976 wagoneer with a QT transfer case will i need to do any other modifications to the drivetrain other then new driveshafts? i know ill have to seal the vacume lines and cut a hole for the shifter but do i have to install the rear end from the 73? any help would be great.

A D20 from a '73 wont bolt up to a '76 TH400 without tearing downt he trans and swapping output shafts. You shouldent need to cut a hole, just remove the cover plate. Your offset rear axle will work, but I woulc keep an eye out for a rear axle that came in a manual transmission cherokee NT or wagoneer. The '73 rear axle is a 5 lug, so it wouldent match the front.

Comment

Thanks

i noticed the axle lugs this morning before i read this but thanks. Do you think i could just bolt the th400 out of the 73 to the back of the 76 engine. the engine in the 76 was rebuilt before i got it and the 73s trany has less miles than the 76s tranny.

Comment

So long as the '73 has an AMC V8 (which it should in stock form) the trans will swap right over. The cases will be the same.

Comment

amc

its an amc so ill be all set.

Comment

One thing you have to do that no one has mentioned is to use the crankshaft spacer from the 73 engine and put it in your 76. Remember that the 73 and earlier TH400s used the adapter ring on the front of it to bolt to the AMC engines. This added a little bit of length to the set-up so there was a spacer between the flexplate and crankshaft. The 76 will not have this as they were using AMC-cased TH400s by 74.

Comment

tranny

so what your saying is that my 73 has a gm bolt pattern on the bellhousing? if so, doesnt that mean that i can use the same adapter to bolt up a built th400 that i already have?

Comment

there isnt a standard 'GM" bolt patern. There is the one for chevy/GMC, then there is the BOPC patern (buick, oldsmobile, pontiac, caddy) patern. The case AMC used in 73 and older rigs is a BOPC patern with the adapter ring on it and the torque converter spacer.

Now the guts out of your built up TH400 will go right inside the AMC cased TH400 or the BOPC case with no troubles. The guts are the same, only the case is different from what I know.

Comment

shift kit

so my shift kit and everything esle should work right?

Comment

Should work just fine.

Comment

Stuka- just so you're clear; the spacer in the 73 and earlier rigs wasn't a "torque converter spacer" it was a spacer that went between the flexplate and crankshaft. It is labeled as a crankshaft spacer in my parts book.

Comment

this addresses most of my question ... maybe all of it.
                        Does anyone know if this was done?
                        can you just slap the spacer on and run the 76 torque converter?
                        ... I mean I guess I will find out soon LOL .. I was just trying to head my problems off at the pass ...

Comment

Working...
                        X