X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 89 GW, shifting issues

I am having issues gettin my 89 GW to shift into 4low. It will go into 4high just find and I can here the vacuum sound in the cab when I switch the switch. any help would be greatly appreciated.

your truck has an NP229 tcase. First, make sure you have enough fluid in your tcase (1-1/8" socket, upper bolt on the back of the tcase; fluid should be even with the bottom of the upper hole. If not, fill with Dexron-Mercon III transmission fluid). After verifying fluid, easiest way is to drive at 3-5mph, shift dash switch, listen for whoosh; then, still rolling forward at 3-5mph, shift trans into neutral and while still rolling, pull up on floor lever into low. If it doesn't shift into low, then start looking at the vacuum diaphragm as it may not be fully pulling the tcase into 4wd.

Comment

Thanks Ryan. I will check that this weekend.

I have ordered everything from you guys so I figured you would be my best bet for trouble shooting.

Comment

Finaly got to work on the Woody this weekend. Not sure if it was the transfer case oil level or the fack that one of the supports for the linkage was bent out of place but I now how 4low and 4high again. Thanks for all your help.

Comment

Working...
        X