X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1982 Wagoneer driveline troubleshooting

My 1982 Wagoneer has about 186,000 miles on it. I have had it for the last 4000 of those miles. It has 360, TF727, and NP219 full time transfer case. All seems to work fine, but I have an occasional problem that I am trying to pinpoint. I drive pretty easy...mostly commuting back and forth to work. I accelerate easy, cruise a bit, then let off easy in anticipation of stopping. No issues. However, if I am on the gas a little harder than usual and quickly let off, I get a sound like a chain slipping around a gear with small teeth. I am guessing that the sudden transfer from 'power-on' forward motion to resistive deceleration from the front axle is causing the tranfer case chain to slip around the gears. My guess is the chain has never been changed...the tc has probably never been cracked open. Does this sound like a typical problem? Am I headed in the right direction? If this is the case, what is the recommended course of action to correct?

sounds like the chain has slack in it, which means it needs to probably be replaced. Sounds like you are spot-on, and it has to be replaced to fix the issue. You can drain the fluid (it takes Dexron-Mercon III or equiv. trans fluid), and you will probably see some aluminum specks in the fluid from the chain rubbing on the case shell.

Comment

So I would guess this means a complete R&R of the TC? Would you recommend a rebuild while its out or, if it seems to work ok, just replace the belt and a few seals and go on with it?

Comment

yep, sounds like R&R to me. I would ditch the full time 219 though (unless you are in place with lots of snow) and find a good used NP208 or a D300 to swap in, as they are much better tcases. Btw, they have chains, not belts
        Last edited by Ryan; 04-17-2012, 02:42 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X