X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '79 engine into 87 GW

when I tried to install a 79 360 motor into my 87 GW the torque conv. didn't fit if I get a new TC that the pilot fits into the crank and the flex plate to go along, will the input fit the 87 trany front pump?

the problem is that in 87-up FSJ's used a mitsubishi charging system, along with starter / flexplate, etc. You will need to use the 87's flexplate and starter, and then everything should match up just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan View Post
      the problem is that in 87-up FSJ's used a mitsubishi charging system, along with starter / flexplate, etc. You will need to use the 87's flexplate and starter, and then everything should match up just fine.
      Ryan, will they also have to remove the pilot bearing from the 79 crankshaft?

Comment

79 engine into 87 trany

on the front of the torq conv. there is a pilot in the center. it is bigger than the pilot hole in the end of the crank. the 79's flex plate had 3 holes to attach it to the torq conv.the 87's TC has 4 holes on the flex plate. if the pilot nub in the center of the TC is solid maybe i can turn it down to fit into the crank pilot hole?

Comment

Originally posted by NvMike View Post
          on the front of the torq conv. there is a pilot in the center. it is bigger than the pilot hole in the end of the crank. the 79's flex plate had 3 holes to attach it to the torq conv.the 87's TC has 4 holes on the flex plate. if the pilot nub in the center of the TC is solid maybe i can turn it down to fit into the crank pilot hole?
          You need the flexplate for the 1987.

The bushing in the back of the crank can be removed. The last time I did one, I used a grease gun and filled that cavity with grease and kept pumping and it came out. This is probably far easier than turning down the TC plus you wouldn't have a custom TC if yours ever went bad.

Comment

yep, and there are lots of folks who have done this same conversion, without needing to turn down the converter / etc. Just use the later model flexplate and starter and it'll all bolt together (and remember to remove the pilot bearing, as that is for the TH400's).

Comment

Working...
            X