X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DANA 20 TO 44 AXLE

My 72 gwag has a 20 with a 44 rear axle. From what I have been reading these do not go togeather because the 20 is for center dif aps. Is this true or did Jeep just not care that you have 2 driveline angles with this ap. I do have a small drive line vibration over 60mph and all joints and mounts are good.

There were a limited number of early wags that came with the d20. And its not that they didn't care. due to the location and size of the fuel tank the rear dif has to be offset or it would lay right against the tank. They later went to the Qtrac which had an offset output to correct it.

Comment

All 73 and older FSJ's used a D20 t-case. 74-79 used a D20 with manuals. They all had offset rear diffs to clear the fuel tank.

It is NOT a big issue. A u-joint does not care which way the angle is applied. An angle is an angle. There is no such thing as two angles being applied. As long as the angle does not exceed what the u-joint is capable of, there will not be any issues.

Comment

Thanks for the answer. I had read some where that when Jeep went to the D20 they went to a centerd dif.??? guess not. Guess I will replace the tcase mount and u-joints to see if that gets rid of the slite vibration. The slip yoke seems snug and clocked right . Also I was under the impression that a ujoint should only have one angle. Not to the side and down, up. Seems like it should have a cv joint to work at 2 angles at one time for smooth operation???
        Last edited by MONTANA MIKE; 01-09-2012, 03:17 PM.

Comment

no, they can take a good bit of up-down and side-side motion

Comment

I'll let you in on a little secret.

1975-1979 Jeep Cherokee Chief had the same rear axle whether it was a Dana 20 or a Quadratrac

1974-1979 J-truck had the same rear axle whether it was a Dana 20 or a Quadratrac

The only rigs that received different rear axles if they had a QT or a Dana 20 were the Wagoneers and the narrowtrack Cherokees.

Comment

Originally posted by MONTANA MIKE View Post
              Thanks for the answer. I had read some where that when Jeep went to the D20 they went to a centerd dif.???
              Yes. indeed they did use a centered dif in the later model wags. If im not mistaken 81' and up had a centered 20 rear.

Comment

Working...
              X