X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• np219 to np208

How easy is it to swap out a np219 to an np208 in a 1981 jeep j10. any major modifications? having a hard time finding parts to rebuild my 219 which is what i really wish i could do

I believe if it is like my '83 there shouldn't be any modifications other than vacuum hose routings... I have a 208 in my wagoneer currently and I know i'm using the other t-case's linkage, and a different driveshaft (My 208 came out of an '82 cherokee chief which is where I got my driveshaft also). I am not sure about the differences in driveshaft lengths on the J trucks. Lazyguy did the swap for me before I bought mine off him, so he would know more.

Comment

I've read your tale of woe about your NP-219

I have a NP-219 in my 1981 J20 and in my 1982 J10.
      I really like them and consider them the next best thing to a Borg-Warner 1339 Quadra-Trac.

Because they were only built for 3ish years, I do understand parts are hard to find.

However, there is a stigma from owners that the rigs equipped with the 219 burnt more fuel and wore out parts because they are Full Time Four Wheel Drive.
      However, from first hand experience and testimonies from other 219 enthusiasts, that this is simply not true, pure myth.
      The point I am getting at is there are many FSJ owners that do not like the 219 and swap them out for a 208.
      Thus you can get a 219 for cheap or even for free.
      I had one just given to me, for its owner did not want it and knew I liked them.
      I would suggest visiting the forum at the IFSJA.org and make a wanted posting for a NP-219.
      I would like to believe you would be surprised at the response.

Comment

Working...
      X