X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quadratrack bind

First, a quick intro as this is my first post.
    I recently aquired a 1976 Wagoneer. It is in great shape but I have been taking care of a few maintainance issues. ie: I now donate a lot of money to my newly aquired love

Since there was a slight bind on tight turns, I decided to change the transfercase fluid and check the chain. Ordered some Crown fluid and other stuff (thanks for the quick service BJ's!) Found the chain had about 1.5" of slop. After much searching I finaly found a Morse chain and installed it. everything looked pretty good inside, as best I could tell any way.

Now for the problem. The bind is quite a bit worse, especially after being driven for a bit. I did drive it in a figure eight for about 5 or 10 min when it was cold to see if that would help but I don't notice much difference.

Also, I should mention that when it was apart I did clean things up with some gas and then brake clean.

Just wanted to see if you guys had any ideas.
    Thanks!

It sounds like it is in Emergency Drive.

Comment

I probably didn't describe it that well. I don't THINK it is in emergency drive. I don't really get wheel hop but there is a binding noise and a jerkeyness (if that is a word) that seems to be coming from the transfer case. The tires slip a little but not like when in e-drive on loose ground.

Right after i completed the work i took it to a nearby gravel lot. It went into e-drive and out ok, at least i could tell a difference on the gravel when in and out.

I did replace the vaccume motor as a part of all this. Again, I think it is working, the light goes on/off but as I understand the rod does not have to move very farr to kick the light.

Thanks again for your input!

Comment

on a tight turn on asphalt, my qt would have a little hop, even when out of e-drive. depending on how tight the turn is, that is to be expected. But if you are on the outside of a cul-de-sac and it's doing it, then odds are its stuck in e-drive.

Comment

Is there any way to tell for sure?

Again, i should mention, it is not that noticible when cold, when it warms up it is much worse.

Also, it is not wheel hop so much as a rubbing binding noise

I would say it sounds like the clutch cones are shot but it wasn't doing this prior to the chain and vaccume motor replacement.

Also wondered about changing the fluid again, but i only have about 1 1/2 qts left. i suppose i could just change the main unit and not the low range.

Comment

I recommend tearing it down and completely clean out the differential unit. I can not tell you how many QTs I have torn down to find a lot of grindings (normal and extreme wear kind of stuff) inside the diff. That will restrict and even plug the oil passages to a point where very little fluid is flowing through it.

Comment

I would check the clutches in the transfercase, if the previous owner didn't add the correct fluid additives they could be fried. My older brother had this expierience with his cherokee.

Comment

Have you inspected the rear axle? perhaps someone put a locker in it.

Comment

Working...
                X