Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 79 Cherokee Center rear diff./ gas tank clearance issue?

I am considering the swap to a Dana 20 T-case in my Q.T. equipped Chief and I am wondering if there would be a clearance issue with the stock gas tank when I switch to a center diff.? If so, was there a different tank for those f.s.j.'s that were equipped with this case? Oh, and while I'm on the subject, What rear diffs. would work for this application? Gear ratio?

I have a centered NP208 in my 79 Cherokee with a J-truck (still offset, but less offset than what you have now) rear axle with a 6" lift and I have no vibration issues.

The J-truck axle is a great conversion because it makes the rear width the same as the front.

Comment

Thanks Brent. That sounds easy enough. Is there a particular year I should be looking for? Would this be from a Q.T. equipped truck and if so, what makes the offset different than the Cherokee?

I have found a rebuilt twin stick Dana 20 for $300.00. Does this sound like a good deal to you or do you think I would be better off finding an NP208?

Comment

I got mine out of a 76-79 J-truck. All of the J-truck axles were the same offset (whether QT or Dana 20).

On the QT rigs, the long axle was the same in all of them (Wag, Chero and J-truck). The short side is the only side that changed. So, a Wagoneer would be a lot offset, a Cherokee, less offset and a J-truck even less offset. I hope that makes sense.

That sounds a little high. You should be able to pick up a Dana 20 for $100 and the twin stick kit is about $120... If it has been fully rebuilt, it is probably a good deal.

I went with a NP208 from a Chevy because I have a 700R4 transmission. I think for you the Dana 20 would be a fine choice.

Comment

I think I got it, Brent. Thanks for all your help. You just took a bunch of guess work out of this whole thing for me. Can't wait to get started now.

Jeff

Comment

J trucks are a little hard to find around here. in the event your not able to locate one there is another option. I believe they started in 80" (got mine out of an 81") you can swap out the fuel tank. later models came with a centered dif and a polly tank. same capacity and it will give you about 4" of clearance from you dshaft

Comment

Thanks chief1ton. I haven't started the search yet and it's great to have options. I actually need to replace my tank anyway, so might as well switch no matter what. Will the old straps work?

Comment

The newer tank actually is held in by the skidplate. tank sits in the skid. then gets bolted in. you have to have the skid that comes with the newer tank! you will have to drill couple holes. and make a simple bracket at the rear corner. i have seen several ways to do it. once you see it under the truck it pretty self explanitory.

Comment

Thanks for all the help. Looks like it's time to go hunting.

Comment

Originally posted by chief1ton View Post
                    The newer tank actually is held in by the skidplate. tank sits in the skid. then gets bolted in. you have to have the skid that comes with the newer tank! you will have to drill couple holes. and make a simple bracket at the rear corner. i have seen several ways to do it. once you see it under the truck it pretty self explanitory.

any pictures of this?????
                    anyone???

Comment

Originally posted by ramtracker View Post
                      anyone???
                      This is what they put stock in the 1980-1991 FSJ Wagons.

Comment

Originally posted by ramtracker View Post
                        anyone???

I can get you a couple tomorrow. I pulled mine out and replaced it with a fuel cell and propane setup. its just sitting next to my rig now.

Comment

Sorry it took a little longer than expected. it was a little more buried than i remembered.

Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                          X