X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NP228--NP229?/?

Whats is the big difference and why is the 228 considered junk?

the 228 is an open diff style tcase, so no slip internally, where the 229 has a viscous coupler and allows slip. The downside is that when the viscous coupler in the 229 goes bad, you not only lose all forward gears, but also reverse AND park. That means the only thing that will hold you in place is a functioning parking brake. After having that exact thing happen to me in my first FSJ, I'll never run a 229 again.

Comment

Thanks Ryan, I was searching the 228 and 229 because I have a bad reverse bang and it seems to be coming from the t-case where the planetary gears are located. I haven't taken it off the wagon yet, and have a possible 228 for a cheap price locally.

Comment

Swap in a jeep 208 case. Much more reliable than either of those case... Fairly common and not too expensive.

Comment

I have an 84 Grand Wagoneer w/ a 229 that has a cracked half and i have not been successful in sealing it. I think i have let it run dry too many times and it now needs to be replaced. I do not really care if i replace it with another 229 or a 228 or a 208. I know i would lose the full time option the 229 offers with the other t-cases but not particular either way. My main question is about the 208. I have seen talk about this being the better option because you get rid of all the vacuum B.S. but what do you do about the front axle? If you get rid of the vacuum how do you get the font axle to engage. I am not really looking to add manual hubs. I know there is a cable engagement option popular with the YJs but not sure if that will be needed or even work for me. I do have the D44 front axle.

Does anyone who has swapped a 229 or 228 w/ a 208 have the answer for me?

Comment

Working...
          X