X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SOA & 35s

Please help. When I bought my Cherokee it had a pitiful SOA, Superlift 4" lift & 37" Boggers. Bumpsteer was a nightmare so I installed BJs Crossover kit and TTs SOA perchs's. Now that the steering is fixed I am unable to re-install the front drive shaft. I was quoted $800 - $1000 for a new front shaft. I am currently running 35x12.50/15 BFG TA KM2s. My question is Can I still run these tires with no rubbing if I install a set of BJs stock springs or 2" lift springs? I want a better ride & dont want to cut the flares. I just want to do it right once. My Jeep loves my money more than I do.

Yes, you should be able to run 35's with stock springs and an SOA. It depends on your wheel offset too, if you have a crazy deep dish wheel, they may rub.

Driveshaft, we just started carrying them. It looks like we can probably fix you up for about 1/2 price:

http://www.bjsoffroad.com/CartGenie/prod-1169.htm

Thanks!

Comment

Just about any driveshaft shop can lenthen or shorten the one you already have, usually for under $200. The place i go to will do it for $140

Comment

I have 15x10 Mickey Thompson Classic Locks with 3 5/8 backspacing (bought from BJs). I dont want to have to change wheels or tires. I want my 4wheel drive back. I want it to be easy to work on to. Having to use a step ladder sucks royaly. Having to jump to get in is getting old as well.

Chief1ton - The drive shaft still fits its just in a bind and wont turn. I was told I need a high angle drive shaft. Will one from another vehicle work? Looks like I need to do some more searching.

Comment

Originally posted by chief1ton View Post
          Just about any driveshaft shop can lenthen or shorten the one you already have, usually for under $200. The place i go to will do it for $140
          Typically with an SOA, if you want to use all of the articulation, the stock short slip will not work.

Comment

A WT Cherokee with an SOA and 35's should be fine. Even with those wheels, I don't forsee issues. If you go down to stock springs it should drive nicer, and your drive shaft issues will be easier to fix. 11" inches of lift (SOA+4") is a lot.

Comment

MadMax78. yes, a stock style front shaft would be in a bind. you can't run that much lift. SOA + 4" with a stock shaft. i was only pointing out there is no need to have an entirely new shaft built. It sounded like you don't want all that lift, if you do want it. you really only have 2 choices. Full custom, which will run around $6-$800. the other is less desirable because it can't be run with a full time tcase setup. i run it, but mine is a true unlockable. my front shaft doesn't turn on the highway.

Brent, just FYI. i been running with the stock slipyoke on my rig for 7 years with this lift, the only limitation in articulation is the in what the springs will allow. we have never had a single pro.

Our rigs are setup in the front opposite of most others, they spring forward, not back. Because of that they require less slipyoke on compression.

Comment

The last SOA rig I had, I tried to lengthen the stock driveshaft but it would pull out at full flex and bottom out at compression so I had to have a longer spline made for it.

Sounds like I had a bit more flex as I had some soft springs in it.

Comment

Come to think of it, I believe that rig was also a shackle reversal so it makes sense that it came apart...

Comment

Thanks for all the info guys. I am definitely wanting to lower it some. Its such a pain to get the family in and out. I will be getting the stock replacement springs then. Will I have to have a new rear shaft as well or will I need to have it shortened?

Comment

It will most likely be ok. Its long enough that the length is not as much of an issue with lifting. The front is more of an issue as the angle increases a lot more when lifting.

Comment

Thanks for the help on this guys. I really appreciate it. Now on to saving some pennies. I used to have some extra ones till I brought home the jeep.

Comment

Working...
                        X