X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question on lift

I have an 88 grand wagoneer. The PO put a 4' lift with blocks on it. What are my options for more lift. also i want to get shocks and am not sure if i should wait till i am done lifting or are the adjustable?? i was looking at the rancho 9000xl's while the promotion in on and i noticed that i had to pick my lift? could i do blocks with shock lift for more height? im just a little in the dark to all the different lift options from spring, to body, to soa, ect and what combo's if any that work the best. I have 33' tires and think i am going to stay at that size. I am having a little rubbing in the front when i turn my wheels fully so i am trying to get rid of that. i have already cut the fenders back as well.
    Thanks in advance

To get more lift, you have to change out your springs. A 6" spring kit is the next step. It requires new springs, new shocks, extended brake lines, and a few other parts that come as part of the kit.

The shocks on your 4" kit would work for a 6" on the street, but would really limit articulation offroad.

Also, if the rubbing up front is on your leaf springs (which is typical) more lift is not going to fix this. You either need to adjust your turn stops, get a wider wheel, narrower tire, or wider axles.

So I guess the answer to your first question is, if you want more lift, you basically need a new kit. If you already have extended brake lines, then you can save a few bucks by not getting those.

Comment

would i not use the block then?? or could i still use those after the fact?

Comment

how does the flip kit work?? can you use it with the new springs kit? or is that its own beast all together
        Last edited by OhmStyles; 08-17-2011, 06:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by OhmStyles View Post
          would i not use the block then?? or could i still use those after the fact?
          we recommend ditching the blocks as they can crack, break, or come out when wheeling and are not a safe option.

Originally posted by OhmStyles View Post
          how does the flip kit work?? can you use it with the new springs kit? or is that its own beast all together
          the rear flip works by flipping the rear shackle so that it points down. You use that with stock rear springs to get around 6-7" of lift over original stock height. If you want more lift, you can then run a lift spring with it, but will need to consider going to wider axles to make it more stable & less prone to showing it's belly

Comment

There is a number of combinations you could go with. Here is a quick breakdown of your options for more lift.

#1 New spring lift. 6" springs all around.

#2 Spring over with shackle flip. this will net you 6-7" of lift with stock springs. this lift would require stock springs front and rear.

#3 shackle flip in rear, new 6" springs in front. you may need the extended shackle in front to help level the rig with this combo.

#4 spring over front with stock springs, new 6" springs in rear. this one will also require extended shackles to level the rig.

I would ovoid anything with blocks. the body lift is an option, i don't personally like them, but it's a matter of preference, and cost of course.

All of these may require extra small things to complete as stuka pointed out. Things like brake lines, shocks, drop pitman arm, in some cases driveshaft work.

Comment

thanks for all the help

Comment

Working...
              X