X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body Bushings Help

87' GW a couple years ago. Any suggestions for replacing broken/rusted out bolts on old body bushings? Just starting on the rear at this time.

I hit everything with pb before attempting to remove but nothing worked-bolts too far gone. I was left with half a bolt hanging/loose.

I am thinking of cutting out old bolt and welding in a predrilled/threaded plate to accept new bolt? Any other suggestions.

mcwagonner

drill them out with a hardened bit or a hardened extractor. Then clean / tap the threads and use good quality, grade-8 bolts to replace them.

Comment

well there isn't anything left to drill and tap. The metal around the bolt is all rusted out and the bolt spins when trying to loosen. It sounds like I need to go to plan A.

thanks for reply.

mick

Comment

I just went through the same issue last month. I bought the Poly mounts from BJ's. Man are they nice! One of my orriginal rear bolts froze to the plate insert and spun in the cage retainer on the inside of the body hat section. I ended up cutting out a small section of the side of the hat section (appx. 2x1") and grabbed the plate insert. Bolt broke off. I burned through the bolt with a cutting torch from the bottom up. Then cleared the mess out and welded a plate and nut to the inside of the hat section. I then welded a patch on the hat section to finish it out. The height stayed the same as my repair is on the inside and doesn't add to the stack up height. I also added a 1 3/8" body lift at the same time. Turned out great!
        Hope you don't have to take it this far.

Comment

Originally posted by Kodiak Commando View Post
          I just went through the same issue last month. I bought the Poly mounts from BJ's. Man are they nice! One of my orriginal rear bolts froze to the plate insert and spun in the cage retainer on the inside of the body hat section. I ended up cutting out a small section of the side of the hat section (appx. 2x1") and grabbed the plate insert. Bolt broke off. I burned through the bolt with a cutting torch from the bottom up. Then cleared the mess out and welded a plate and nut to the inside of the hat section. I then welded a patch on the hat section to finish it out. The height stayed the same as my repair is on the inside and doesn't add to the stack up height. I also added a 1 3/8" body lift at the same time. Turned out great!
          Hope you don't have to take it this far.
          Thanks Kodiak. I figured someone probably ran into this in the past. Yes mounts are very nice. I am not familiar with all the terminology (body hat section, etc.) but I assume it is where my retainer is spinning free.

Question: when you cut the section of the hat section, did you cut the hole from the inside of the body, or did you raise the body high enough to get to it, or some other method?

thanks

mcwagoneer

Comment

Sorry about the terminology thing. I do a lot of custom sheetmetal and fabrication. The hat section is the sheetmetal that is formed and spot welded to the bottom of the body floor for structural floor rigidity. It has 4 bends that make it kind of look like a hat in cross section. If you have the rear of your frame up on high jack stands and lean your back on the rear tire, you are looking at the rear most mount. The section I cut out is between the top of the body mount and the floor. One inch high by 2 inches long. The opening is large enough to redo the plate and or weld a new nut to the back of the plate. I also heavy tacked the plate so it won't spin any more. I know that it doesn't let you have any adjustment any more, but I threaded a fastener into it to make sure its in the right place. Then I coated it with rust converting primer and paint on the inside. Then I welded a patch panel over the hole on the outside so that structural integrity is regained in the hat section. A quick coat of paint on the outside and it's good as new. I wish I had taken a pic or two of it. It's a lot simpler than it sounds.

Comment

I got it. Thanks for the detailed response.

mcwagonner

Comment

just wondering if this broken bolt issue is a common thing? recently came into a little money and want to do the 4" lift and replace body bushings also, just want to know what I'm getting into...no welder or cutting torch

Comment

Working...
                X