X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering Colum play

I have a lot of play in my steering colum on my 84 grand wagon. At one point in time in actually locked up on me in the middle of a hole. Should i replace the colum or what?
    Having Ignition problems as well!!!

sounds like you need to take it apart and tighten all the bolts. There is a good write-up on IFSJA about it......I want to say by Ristow.

Comment

Here is the write-up:

http://www.ifsja.org/tech/steering/column.html

Comment

How hard is it to replace the whole steering colomn?

Comment

remove the trim collar, disconnect the plugs, remove the four bolts at the bottom at the firewall connector, remove the two bolts holding it to the dash, and disconnect the steering shaft in the engine bay. Pretty easy actually.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan View Post
            remove the trim collar, disconnect the plugs, remove the four bolts at the bottom at the firewall connector, remove the two bolts holding it to the dash, and disconnect the steering shaft in the engine bay. Pretty easy actually.
            Thanks for the help, where is the trim collar? And any idea on what years are compatiable?

Comment

trim collar is the plastic trim piece that wraps around the column where it meets the dash (it's on the outside of the dash). I believe 1976-1985 are the same

Comment

Working...
              X