Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine swap help

Hey guys!
    Im working on a 79 j10. I have got the truck stripped to the frame and ready to be sandblasted. The truck originally had a 258 mated to a T18. My plan is to keep the T18 and put a small block chevy in it. This is my first engine swap and I have alot of questions and trying to acquire the most info I can.
    Is there a difference between a jeep and a ford T18?
    Will a SBC bolt up to my T18?
    Best way to fit the new engine or can new mounts be placed in same place as old ones?
    Any other frame mods needed?
    Any other advice you guys can throw my way would be awesome!

Thanks!!

not positive on the T-18, but will do some looking.

For the mounts, we have those here:
    http://www.bjsoffroad.com/ProdInfo.asp?pid=503&cid=25

Comment

You will need and adaptor to match the trany to your engine,

There is a thread here at BJ's Off-Road forums which has pictures of modifing a 74 J10 Truck from an I6 to an AMC V8. Lots of pictures! The transmission used is the T18. It may be helpful.

Comment

Thanks guys!
        Anyone have any measurements on where to place the new mounts on the frame? Also, does the transmission crossmember need to be moved backj?

Comment

the holes for the towers and the crossmember are already in the frame. You just move the mounts to the other sets of holes

Comment

It's hard to say what may be moved.
            T18 on a I6 should have a short shaft. The location of the cross member should be in the right place for that transmission.
            The AMC V8 uses the forward holes on the frame for its motor mounts.(There are pic's in the other thread.)
            The GM V8 should use the same area.
            The T18 with an AMC V8 installed requires a longer shaft and a spacer between the transmission and the engine.(it about 10" long.) This puts the engine in the center of the engine bay and the transmission will match the hole in the floor.
            If you don't have the transmission shaft length and the spacer, the shift lever will need to be move forward placing it under the heater output. Most likely the shifter lever will hit the dash. The engine will be moved back and have inteference with the fire wall. The engine will need to be lowered for clearence. Which may not be a bad thing. Just need a skid plate added to the oil pan. I6 engines have a skid plate because they have a deeper oil pan than the V8.

Please note: When you remove the shifter from the T18 transmission, to remove and install the transmission from/into the Jeep, pay attention to the hardened pin use as a guide for the shifter. It can fall into the transmission during the removal of the shifter lever. If it's in there, and you don't retreve it, it cauld jam the gears while driving. Not a fun thing to have happen at any speed!

Comment

Working...
            X