X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine troubles

My amc 360 is blowing some oil out of one of the exhaust ports. Is this a problem with the rings? Or just the valves? If it's the rings, is it possible to just hone out the cylinders and replace the rings, as long as there is no damage to the cylinder? Need help, don't really want to bore this motor.

it could be from both. Basically, if your valve seals are worn, they won't seal properly and will allow oil to pass through. When your rings are bad, same thing (they won't scrape the oil off the cylinder walls).

If the cylinder walls are within spec, you can hone them out and replace rings. If not, you'l lhave to bore and go oversize on pistons and / or rings. First step though will be to do a compression check on each cylinder to see where your problem is.

Comment

Yeah the compression check was going to be my next step. Do you happen to know the specs for the cylinder walls? Or someplace I can find them? Going to tear into the engine this weekend.

Comment

How far out can i go with just rings? I guess what i mean is what is the largest set of rings I can buy?

Comment

unfortunately I don't know the specs off-hand. They will be listed though in the factory service manuals:
          http://www.bjsoffroad.com/ProdList.asp?scat=118

Comment

Know any tricks to get this spring keeper back in?

Comment

what spring keeper are you talking about?

Comment

Sorry, picture didn't upload. The valve spring retainer clips. Finally got the one back in after replacing the valve seals, but there has to be an easier way. Took me 2 1/2 hours just to do one cylinder. I used the spring compressor, wooden dowel in the plug hole, rotated piston up to keep the valves from falling, they came out easier than they went back in. Know any tricks for when I do the rest? Besides taking the heads off?

Comment

I've only seen them done with the head off using a spring compression tool

Comment

Working...
                  X