X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas Mileage

I am going to register my 88 GW as a classic (vintage next year) and it doesn't require an inspection in my state. Regardless, my county doesn't do emission inspections. Just curious about what smog equipment I can take off to increase engine performance?

Also what upgrades do you reccommend to increase mpg? Carb, intake, etc..?

Thanks!!

the stock intake / carb will net around 12mpg if tuned well with stock tires / etc. The only way to really increase mpg is to convert to EFI or add a gear vendors overdrive, or change to an overdrive transmission. Most of the time, the cost to do those mods outweighs what you save, and takes MANY years to recoup.

Comment

Not allot you can do. most of the smog stuff won't affect your mileage much, if any, remove smog pump. this will take a little drag off the motor. you will also need to remove smog ports from exhaust manifolds and plug them. lose the mechanical fan for an electric. Free up your exhaust. the 2 into 1 Y pipe is restrictive. have it opened up at the Y pipe to atleast 2 1/2. high flow cat, or no cat which ever you prefer. quality muffler.

If you do it right you can pro squeeze 16 out of it. But your going to pay dearly for it.

Comment

Working...
      X