X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tailgate Window (again)

I know you guys are probably tired of answering questions about tailgate windows!!! So here is mine.

Just got my 88 GW a week ago. Needs a few things fixed (brake lines will be ordering from you today!!, headliner also today, and the rear window).

My dash switch doesn't work (I can't hear any noise like the motor is trying to work in the back). When I put my key in the tailgate switch, it does go down and then back up. But not all the way up, there is about a 3 inch gap that it will not go all the way up. Any suggestions on trouble shooting the dash switch and why it won't go all the way up using the tailgate switch??

Thanks!!

Well. I got the access panel off of the tailgate, and the slide channel at the bottom that holds the glass is rusted and bent and broke. I bypassed the safety switch and everthing moves as it should from the dash and the key in the tailgate. The PO had a new slide channel for me (nice) but I have a question about installing it. Is there some sort of felt or ???? that you put into the channel before putting the glass in there? Is there some sort of adhesive or will the pressure hold the glass in there good enough? Also, the little clips on the arms that move the glass up and down has clips on them with a spring underneath them. I am guessing that you put the long slot from the new slide ontop of these nipples?? and then put the spring and the clip back on? Is there something that should go on this nipple to let it roll smoothly or not? Also, I think I ripped my rear defrost wires off of the glass (whoops) can I just soder that back on?

Comment

Wow. I keep answering my own questions!!! I found the seal that you guys have on your website and ordered new retainer clips (why not for $1) and side channels also. Hopefully this is all I need for my window to work properly!! I will be ordering all new weatherstripping too, just not yet. I need the internal parts of the tailgate latch though. I have the handle and the latches on either side of the tailgate, but the internal rod??? that disengages the latches when you pull up on the handle is shot. Any idea where I can get these??

Comment

Once again...I found the mechanism that I need on eBay.

Comment

glad we could help

Comment

One question though. The studs on the regulator arms, I am guessing the long slot on the window slide channel goes over these. Do I put the channel on the stud and then put the spring and my new clip on? Is there something that goes around that stud to help it slide inside of the long slot or just leave it as is? It seems that it would create alot of friction if I just leave it as is.

Comment

As far as hooking up the rear defroster...The two wires came loose fromt the lower corner of the window. I have seen where people solder these back on but I am afraid of shattering the glass. There is a website frostfighter.com that sells kits to repair defrosters. They sell a kit where you can convert this over to a tab/plug system and would just use their conductive adhesive to connect the tab to the window instead of soldering the wire directly to the window. Would that still work? Anyone have any experience with these????

Comment

I realize these responses are quite late, but in case anyone else has similar questions:

Originally posted by barlowchiro View Post
                Do I put the channel on the stud and then put the spring and my new clip on?
                Channel goes on to the stud, then the spring and clip go on. I put some bearing grease on the stud before I put it together, as that keeps it sliding smoothly and helps prevent more rusting of the metal surfaces that ride together

Originally posted by barlowchiro View Post
                I have seen where people solder these back on but I am afraid of shattering the glass
                I have soldered on a few without any issues. But you have to make sure the glass is thoroughly clean, and usually it only takes a little drop or two. I have heard of the various adhesive kits, but have never tried them.

Comment

Working...
                X