X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HEI distributor change issues

79 Honcho 360 switch ignition systems to HEI and have been having componet failures, just seen what might be the issue one of the screws in the cap the screw that goes thru the ground of the coil must have been screwed in just a little to far, and has been receiving voltage that should go to the spark plug, the plastic was melting away which exposed more of the end of the screw, anyway getting a new cap coil,and hopfully this solves my problem.
    Anyone else have this problem?

which HEI?

Comment

ok update, The HEI distributor is from thunderchicken. Droped new unit in still didn't want to fire more than once/twice. So pulled the cap cranked the engine and the rotor would rotate and hesitate than continue(this doen't help my timing at all)anyway the distributor cam gear has two flat teeth, thus rotor hesitation. now the big question can i buy a matched set distributor cam gear and distributor gear, is there such a thing???
      thanks

Comment

Ok just found on Rockauto they sell a set distributor cam gear and distributor gear, just ordered.

Comment

Originally posted by dsplk View Post
          Ok just found on Rockauto they sell a set distributor cam gear and distributor gear, just ordered.
          I hope those will work for you. We have had VERY poor luck with cheap gear sets (OMIX parts tend to be the cheapest out there).

I believe we will be carrying a quality set in the next week or so. We quality test everything before we put it on our webstore and we have 3 sets of these new gear sets out there and have had zero failure.

Comment

Oh boy these omix's are on the way, where else would i pick this up from asap?
            thanks

Comment

Ok this is what a ditributor cam gear looks like when the distributor gear eats it, not sure if this is inserting or not
              [ATTACH][ATTACH]300
              Attached Files

Comment

I have found that the problem is not with the cam gear it is with the aftermarket hei's drive gear.

I have started only buying the hei from CRT Performance, the Cam drive gear for the distributor itself has a more exact tooth contact pattern. Most of the aftermarket hei's I have looked into, their installed gear doesn't mesh properly with the amc cam gear. After switching to the crt performance distributors I have noticed the cam gears have no more meshing issues, and i have stopped stripping subsequent cam gears.

Comment

we have hundreds of folks running hei's from us without this issue. You simply need to make sure to check the gear type and installed depth before installing. I prefer to use either a new set of matched gears, or take the old dizzy gear and install it on the new HEI.

Comment

Working...
                  X