X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power Draw

Hey everyone. so here's the deal. I have.( have had for some time ) a minor power draw coming from ??? somewhere. i have done everything i can think of. but can't find it. i have pulled every fuse, unplugged every acc i can, and tested for power in every place i can think of that shouldn't have power with the key off. AND nothing! anyone have an idea how i can track this down?

I have the same problem with my 86 GW. I believe I traced the problem to my trailer brake controller? Still not sure. Between what the previous owner did to the wiring and what I have done I would rather re-wire the whole thing, so for now I will put a quick disconnect on my battery. Wishlist from BJ's one wire harness to go.

Wes

Comment

To test for a battery draw, you need a multi meter. You disconnect the positive battery cable then connect the multi-meter to the positive on the battery and then to the battery cable. Now all of your power is running through the multimeter and it will tell you how many amps are being used.

Then you methodically disconnect fuses and plugs (I am not sure if the trailer controller is fused). Once you see the amp draw go down, you've found your problem.

Hope this helps.

edit, just found this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFCT-YZbU5o

Comment

Ya! been there. done that... i had all the fuses out, unplugged everything else i could. still no change. the draw is 11.5 ma. this is why im so boggled on this.

Comment

Check to see if you have a clock. In dash or in your radio. Radios also have a memory, that normally runs 5mamps though. Another draw I have found is a bad relay. Carbon build-up can cause the relay to pull a small draw off the battery without whatever it is connected to showing any signs of being powered.

Try these with volt meter hooked in series with battery.

1. Disconnect radio completely from the wiring harness. No draw, mystery solved. If your battery is going dead overnight get a new battery. If it takes a couple of months. Drive more. You could wire your radio to hot only when ignition on, but you won't have presets or a clock that dose not flash 12:00.

2. Disconnect by unplugging any relays you have one at a time. If the draw goes away, mystery solved. Replace the relay, problem solved.

3. Do you have a security system? If so, disconnect. If the draw goes away, check to see if the system is supposed to have a draw when armed.

4. Do you have a trailer brake system. Do not ask me how, but I had a rig in the shop once that the battery went dead overnight. The battery was good, so I checked for and found a 30mamp draw. Narrowed it down to the electric brake actuator. Replaced the unit, no more problem.

Other than those things I am sure you have checked for glove box lights, trunk lights, under-hood lights etc.

If I did not help, sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Romanov View Post
            4. Do you have a trailer brake system. Do not ask me how, but I had a rig in the shop once that the battery went dead overnight. The battery was good, so I checked for and found a 30mamp draw. Narrowed it down to the electric brake actuator. Replaced the unit, no more problem.
            THIS! I had the little black towing box that was mounted behind the rear crossmember, just behind the rear bumper, and it would drain my system, and kept the charging system from functioning properly. Someone suggested removing it, which I did, and all my problems (electrically) went away. Just another place to check

Comment

Working...
            X