Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering Column Safety Switch Issue????

I have a 1990 GW and am in the process of restoring it. A recent development involves some sort of kill switch under the dash on top of the steering column. The GW starts up fine but when I shift it into R, D or 1/2, it immediately dies. It also starts fine in N but again, when shifted to R, D or 1/2, it dies.

There is a small switch undernath the dash on the drivers side on the top side of the steering column that looks like it is tied to the problem. Does anyone have any experience with this? I know that the neutral safety start switch is on the transmission... Is this perhaps the other end of it? If so, it's not shown at all in the Jeep service manual...

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you.

MB

that switch on top of the column is your ignition switch:
    http://www.bjsoffroad.com/cartgenie/...pid=455&cid=12

The NSS won't kill the truck once it's running, but rather would keep it from starting if it is in gear. The ignition switch however can cut power to the motor if it is shorting out, if there is a wire in the column that is bare, etc.

Comment

Ignition Switch

Ryan,

Thank you. I just ordered one up. We'll give it a shot. If that switch were worn out or loose, let's say, would that cause the jeep to die when the transmission gear selector was moved from park or neutral to a gear?

Thanks again!

Comment

it very well could, as it could cut power to the truck (as if you turned off the ignition switch). Was any other work done recently to the engine or wiring?

Comment

No. Nothing new at all. Does the switch somehow interract with the gear selector? I have read some other posts (from you) previously that indicate a plastic rod that is connected to the gear selector that runs down the steering column to a switch and/or neutral safety switch?

Comment

Originally posted by mbasciano View Post
            Does the switch somehow interract with the gear selector?
            No, the ignition switch does not!!

Originally posted by mbasciano View Post
            I have read some other posts (from you) previously that indicate a plastic rod that is connected to the gear selector that runs down the steering column to a switch and/or neutral safety switch?
            That one is for the older than 1980 models, with the TH-400 transmission, all MOPAR-transmissions have the P/N/BU -switch at the transmission!!!

Comment

Working...
            X