X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition Problem

With the key in start position, the engine kicks over and fires once but when i turn the key back to run it dies. if i jump the battery to the coil and start it it runs fine. Which igniton part has failed. thanks

My guess would be the ignition switch:

http://www.bjsoffroad.com/CartGenie/prod-455.htm

Comment

Is it pretty easy to install? any quick tips?

Comment

Yes, it's easy. Look under the dash, on top of the steering column near the pedals. It's held in with two screws

Comment

I put in the new ignition switch, and i still have the same problem. any other suggestions of what it could be.

Comment

I would have the solenoid on the driver side fender tested. Or replace it, they are like 15 bucks. But when its in start, it uses a different post to send a straight 12V to the coil. On run, it drops back to the standard running voltage (around 8 as I recall). Its still 12 coming out of the solenoid, but it gets dropped down later before it hits the coil.

Its a kind of round black thing with two little studs on the front, and two larger ones on the side.

Comment

It may not be the switch but the connection between the firewall and the fuse box. This has been a problem with my J10 truck. If you have been messing with the wiring harness on the engine the wires can pull from their seat. Carefully remove the bolt and separate the cable/connector assy inside the engine compartment inspect the connectors to ensure they don't push back when reinserted to the fuse block.

Comment

Working...
              X