X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another rear window question

Im having the same problem that most of you have or will have. The question I have is I tested the motor and it works up and down, I checked with a test light into the plug for the motor, I have power up and down, but when i plug it in, it only rolls down but not up. What is going on!

could be the safety switch acting up. YOu can take the two brown wires and disconnect them from the safety switch on the side, and jumper them together and see if that works. Otherwise, it might be the switch inside the tailgate that the key operates going bad, as all power goes through there first.

Comment

I did jump the safty switch with no luck. i was hopeing it wasnt that switch. My dash switch doesnt work either. Can I just run new wires with a switch to the front?

Comment

you can. If the window works at the window motor, but not through the switches, then something else is wrong (either one / both of the switches, etc.).

So if I understand correctly, the dash switch doesn't work at all, and the tailgate key switch only works going down?

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan View Post
          you can. If the window works at the window motor, but not through the switches, then something else is wrong (either one / both of the switches, etc.).

So if I understand correctly, the dash switch doesn't work at all, and the tailgate key switch only works going down?
          Yes that is what is happening.

Comment

sounds like that switch is the culprit. The switch on the dash won't work if the switch in the tailgate is on the way out, which is sounds like it is. You can try to find a used switch in good shape, or take yours apart and clean it and reassemble, but most of the time that doesn't work. We did hear that someone found a suitable replacement from Radioshack, but it was by no means an oem replacement, and so far don't have any p/n's.

Comment

here is a thread about toggle switches as well:
              http://forum.bjsoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3561
              Last edited by Ryan; 09-06-2017, 08:41 AM.

Comment

Can a switch be rewired direct to the window motor and totaly bypass the tail gate switch. Put it on acc power and mount it on the dash.

Comment

Probably, but you'd have to have some sort of cut-off switch that the lifter channel activates at the bottom to tell the motor to stop (same with the top)

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan View Post
                    Probably, but you'd have to have some sort of cut-off switch that the lifter channel activates at the bottom to tell the motor to stop (same with the top)
                    The factory switch doesn't have a cut off so I think it would be ok without one.

Comment

I might try doing that and see how it goes.

Comment

You can do it. i did. you will need a 3 position momentary switch. i was able to just unplug my tailgate switch. i would recommend keeping the tailgate latch switch. without it you will be able to roll the window up with the tailgate down. if it's up even a little when you go to close it. you can break your window

Comment

Great I will give it a go this weekend, hopfully Hitting the trails with the wr450 in the morning!

Comment

Working...
                          X