X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• J10 won't turn over solenoid clicks??

Hi folks I was wondering IF anybody has some wiring ideas? I'm trying to get the J10 started after being parked all winter. I installed an HEI before I parked it. Will the starter solenoid click even if its BAD? Did I miss something on the HEI install that involves the starter on the 360? Just click click click nada starter doesn't do anything? Did the usual the Wife and I rocked the crap out of the truck in gear and gave the starer a few light wacks still nothing? Oh yeah this truck will start with the th400 in gear from a handy engine swap by the po so safety switches aren't an issue. Stuka you're the wiring guru any input??

Originally posted by jmon207 View Post
    Hi folks I was wondering IF anybody has some wiring ideas? I'm trying to get the J10 started after being parked all winter. I installed an HEI before I parked it. Will the starter solenoid click even if its BAD? Did I miss something on the HEI install that involves the starter on the 360? Just click click click nada starter doesn't do anything? Did the usual the Wife and I rocked the crap out of the truck in gear and gave the starer a few light wacks still nothing? Oh yeah this truck will start with the th400 in gear from a handy engine swap by the po so safety switches aren't an issue. Stuka you're the wiring guru any input??
    Does the Batt. have a full charge?

Comment

Brand new from napa last fall just took it off the trickle charger and put it in the truck this AM

Comment

ARRG! I threw the battery back on the charger just to be sure, it started my Land Rover fine too. Anybody know if the solenoid will still give the usual loud click under the hood even if its shot?

Comment

Ok this is what I would do:

1. Can you put a ratchet on the crank and manually turn the engine

2.(you might need two for this) Put a meter on the Batt. and then try to start the engine and see how far the Batt. goes down

3. Pull the stater and get it checked

Comment

I'm going to put a breaker bar on there to see if it's frozen. I'm going to put a meter on it too and if its getting 12-14V and not turning over that starter is going to get yanked. The wiring on this truck is a mess I'v cleaned a ton of it up. The truck is originally a manual tranny truck and the PO turned the truck into an automatic! if I lift the floor mat up the clutch pedal is on the floor! So it's a total FRANKEN TRUCK. Thanks for the help I think you're right I'm going to end up Yanking the starter for a bench test....I see a Chevy 350 and a 700R4 in this trucks future. I's going to take a week at least to get an AMC starter shipped up here to the one tiny parts store. That's it the wife and I are going to the shooting range to blow some steam off have a good one thanks again.

Comment

Working...
            X