X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 88 GrandWagon Power Draw Help

Hey guys thanks for the help with the tranny. Got this electrical problem to deal with then I think ill be ok.

The car has a power draw, when the battery is connected and you take the key out all the power stays on. With that note it is possible to start the car without a key for this reason.

The I "think" the main problem is that some genius decided to put a modern cobra security system in the car and all the wires are mangled and tapped back together under the dash near the fuses.

Also there is plenty of melted wires and mangled wires under the hood.

So...

I was planning on buy a wiring harness to replace everything in the dash, and possibly under the hood.

If you could tell me how many circuits to get for this job or a website that would sell the stuff I need, anything and everything would help.

Also to the experts this does sound like I need to replace all the circuits, right?

let me know if their is anything specific I can tell you to help me solve this, thanks Kyle

I would go with the 21 circuit harness, here:
    http://www.bjsoffroad.com/cartgenie/...id=1168&cid=12

The Cobra kit was possibly wired in incorrectly, and if you can start the truck without a key, then you need a new ignition key cylinder. Sounds like you have several things that will need to be fixed along the way, as well as testing the circuits to find out which ones are staying on when the key is in the 'off' position. Use a multimeter at the battery, and with a helper, pull one fuse at a time until the draw stops. That should help narrow down the circuit that is drawing power.

Comment

New info

I tried out the multimeter at the battery, and the question I have is
      (also I removed the cobra system)

"when you connect the battery to the terminals should the charge go down or stay the same?"

I would think it would stay the same right? because no power is being used.

I measured the battery before and it went down .10v just by connecting it. I then did the fuses one by one, The only thing that drew power was the dome light that was ON while I had the door open. Needless to say did not find the draw through the fuses, any thoughts?

Comment

Maybe this helps?

I noticed in my car that turn signals only work when the key is turned on. The Wagon on the other hand turn signals work without a key when the Wagon is off, could this be the draw? if so what would it be?

Comment

Working...
        X