X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want the Best Cooling

I have an 82 J-Truck with the 258/4-speed combination & a New Radiator is now required. I only want to do this once...

I have noticed the physical differences between the 6-cylinder & 8-cylinder radiators available. I would rather have the 3-core V-8 Capacity. Is there any reason why I can not install the V-8 unit in my J-10?

I Do want to maintain the stock Clutch Fan/Shroud/water-pump setup & need to know if there is going to be a Clearance-issue because of the thicker core unit.

you can, but you will need to switch to the V8 inner core support as they are different between the 6cyl and v8 models (6cyl has a narrower set of towers for the radiator, as the 6cyl radiator is smaller). Other than that, yes you can switch them out.

Comment

Okay...

Thank you for the information! I didn't realize there was that much difference, since this is a GSA-ordered FORESTRY SERVICE RIG & everything else was ordered Heavy Duty. Dimensions appeared similar to the GW w/ V-8.

Comment

The V8 sits differently in the truck. High in the front and low in the back. This tips the radiator fan. The V8 radiator is framed to match the angle of the radiator and as Ryan stated it is about 1 inch wider. The sheet metal in the front of the Jeep is notched to accept the V8 radiator because of the angle. the I6 doesn't have the space in the front of the radiator to handle the angled radiator.

I had a radiator shop find a 3 core radiator to fit my jeep.

(I need it because I have a I6 body, but I installed a V8. I also had to have them angle the radiator (reweld the side brackets) for the V8 angle.)

Comment

I didn't realize that the v8 model was angled back more, good to know (thanks!)

Comment

Thank you,Dave & Ryan, for your input...

Originally posted by davpratt View Post
            The V8 sits differently in the truck. High in the front and low in the back. This tips the radiator fan. The V8 radiator is framed to match the angle of the radiator and as Ryan stated it is about 1 inch wider. The sheet metal in the front of the Jeep is notched to accept the V8 radiator because of the angle. the I6 doesn't have the space in the front of the radiator to handle the angled radiator.

I had a radiator shop find a 3 core radiator to fit my jeep.

(I need it because I have a I6 body, but I installed a V8. I also had to have them angle the radiator (reweld the side brackets) for the V8 angle.)
            Since I am still running the I-6 (& I prefer the Economy & Torque), it sounds like to much work at this point... I'll stand with "stock", since it did last 30 years (Pulled everything out this morning, to start the cleaning before the parts get here & everything is still marked "amc" so there is a good chance that no one has torn-in to it yet!)

Thanx to Both of you!

Comment

Working...
            X