X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running Hot

My newly rebuilt 360 is running good but the dash temp gauge is redlining in about 5 min. The engine doesn’t appear to be running hot and the sensor is new…any clues?

On the thermostat, are you sure it is opening? Also, did you use RTV around the thermostat housing? What about around the timing cover / water-pump, did you use RTV there? A lot of times, RTV can block the water passages and make it overheat. Also, if you have air pockets in the motor it'll do the same thing.

Have you kept the radiator cap off and started the motor / let it come up to temp? If so, did you see the coolant start moving when the thermostat opened?

Comment

Can the manifold valley pan be put on backwards...180deg?
      I remember checking the porting and some of the intake ports were blocked off and I thought the valley pan was keyed to go on one way. Could this cause a problem?

Comment

yes, that could very well cause a problem. The ports should align properly.

Comment

OK...I checked the flow and made sure the port was clear and then went to NAPA and bought a new temp sensor - problem solved. Thanks

Comment

Working...
          X