Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just installed aluminum radiator, shroud question.

I just completed the install of the BJ aluminum radiator but I could not get the fan shroud to install due to the top outlet for the feed to the tranny cooler. Should I drill the shroud to fit or just leave it off? Thanks...

you should have the shroud on. drill out what you have to to mount it.

if you leave it off then it will not pull as much air through to cool the coolant.

Comment

In the next 2 weeks we will have an electric fan setup that includes a shroud if you want to go that route. After we get that one out, we will come out with a bolt on aluminum fan shroud to be used with the stock clutch style fan. That one should be in 1-2 months.

Thanks!

Comment

Thanks for the replies, a follow on question.

I installed the aluminum radiator as my original OEM radiator was leaking and my 89' GW was overheating @ idle during the summer months here in Memphis. I don't do a lot of off-road work but do tow a 3k boat and trailer a lot....I'm hoping the aluminum radiator solve my overheating issues under these circumstances. What advantage would the electric fan bring, does it replace the mechanical and would I have to drill/tap the new radiator for a temp probe? Can an electric novice install the fan on a plug and play basis?

Comment

Yes, this will be a really easy and cool setup. The shroud will bolt onto your radiator, the fan bolts onto the shroud (all hardware will be included). The unit will not come with a relay / thermostat kit because some people run different temperature thermostats but we will offer a kit that screws into the 3/8 NPT threads on your intake manifold which is a better way to run the thermostat for the electric fan.

And, yes, it is made to replace your mechanical fan completely.

Comment

Thanks Brent...

...please keep me posted on when the shroud and fan will be available. I'll hold off on modding the stock shrould. Do you have a ROM price at this point for the shroud/fan?

Comment

We are shooting for a price of $250, That price would be for the shroud, the fan and the relay/thermostat kit...

Also, the fan we are using isn't a cheap fan. We searched high and low to find a quality fan that had enough CFM for the V8 AND could fit between the water pump and the radiator, there isn't much room on a FSJ for that...

Comment

Sign me up...

...as long as it is idot proof from an electrical perspective. I'll wait for them to be available, just let me know please. thx

Post that, new manifolds/air tubes, new tranny pan, B&M cooler, 2" lift springs, new tires and expedition rack to make a good over the road pack mule w/ decent offroad capability....pondering TBI/MPI at a future point if it is idiot proof from an electric perspective.

Comment

Originally posted by dabear
                  I installed the aluminum radiator as my original OEM radiator was leaking and my 89' GW was overheating @ idle during the summer months here in Memphis. I don't do a lot of off-road work but do tow a 3k boat and trailer a lot....I'm hoping the aluminum radiator solve my overheating issues under these circumstances. What advantage would the electric fan bring, does it replace the mechanical and would I have to drill/tap the new radiator for a temp probe? Can an electric novice install the fan on a plug and play basis?
                  you might want to do a complete check of your coolant system to make sure that it is just the radiator causing your overheating problem and not something else as well.

Comment

Thanks for the heads up on the cooling system...

....I've given her the once over and the radiator was the core of the issue. New thermostat, hoses, high flow pump and the aluminum radiator along with multiple flushes and she's running like a top. Pressure is holding up and all looks good. The problem was always at idle prior to any of the mods.

Comment

Brent, with the electric fan I presume I should consider an upgrade to my stock alternator on my 89' GW at the same time....did I see a note that ya'll can get the Powermaster 144A alternators as well?

Comment

Working...
                      X