X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Door Interchange

I have a 78 J10 I would like to put power window and mirror doors on it, like the ones I have on my 88 Grand Wagoneer. What years will interchange with th 78 J10 doors

From what I've seen so far between the '74 J10 truck door and an 89 wagoneer front door was a change in the design of the vent window and how it is installed. The newer door is stronger because it doesn't have a hole drilled to bolt the front of the vent window in. The newer vent window is screwed in with small screws.
    I took a piece of paper and placed it over the opening where the electric mirrors were mounted, traced the holes and edge of the door so I could transfer their location to my doors. If you decide to mount the electric mirrors, be sure to get the stiffener brackets riveted to the doors where the mirrors are located. the rivets are easy to cut, they are soft steel.
    The mirror control I mounted on the dash rather than place it on the door panel.
    The window motor is a cable design. From what I saw the holes are there to mount the electric window motor.
    The newer jeep door has a plastic curved tube the wires are channeled through to the fuse box under the dash. I think you may have to cut a hole in the door jamb. My '74 jeep doesn't have the hole in the jamb for the wires. I have to tie the wires to the upper hinge.

Comment

The door latches changed in 79 or 80. Cant recall which year. But the doors will not swap between the two without some work. The hindges also changed, the later ones dont open a full 90's degrees like the older ones.

Comment

The shells themselves are the same, but as mentioned the latches changed in 1979. Hinges also changed, and there was thicker glass in earlier years. Having said that, you should be able to swap in the entire regulator assembly from a later-model rig into yours without major issues

Comment

It's easier, IMO, to swap the internals. i was going to swap the doors on mine. and found what they have stated. the latch and hinge change makes it complicated to make it work. i installed the motors and switches into mine in couple hours. use the door panels for the power window doors and your good.

Comment

Thanks!

I appreciate all the help guys! I will plan on just swapping out internals. There are a couple good looking donor G.W. In the wrecking yard.

Comment

If you can, get the power windows from 1989.5 to 1991, they are cable driven instead of the flex tracks...

Comment

Thanks for that note Brent. Unfortunately my local salvage yard just crushed the two g wagoneers I planned to remove parts from.

Comment

Door swap

Sounds like you guys are pretty familiar with doors. I have to replace my passenger door with a new one but can only find doors with the newer latch style. It sounds like I have some work cut out for me. Also, mine is a two door widebody but I can only find doors off of the 4 door styles, they appear to be the same. Does anyone know for sure before I spend the money on a door that will not work. Thanks.

Comment

The front doors on a 4-door are the same as the doors on a 2-door.

Comment

Working...
                    X