X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DANA 44 HELP! Unkown part

Workin gon a DANA 44 rear axle out of a 79 J-10. While inspecting the gears and looking everything over a small piece of metal fell from the housing. I have no idea what it is or what it is called. I found where it came from and where another is located. Any help on what to do is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!

Attached Files

Top picture is what it should look like, the middle picture is where it broke out of, and the last picture is the piece that fell out.

Comment

I've seen that part before, but can't recall the official name. I've looked online and don't seem to see it, but maybe Brent will chime in as he is our axle expert

Comment

I looks like some form of a limited slip. The part came off the carrier and looks like a keeper to keep something from sniping. That's all I can tell from the pics.

Comment

ok thanks guys! Can I find a replacement keeper? Or do I have to replace the carrier set?

Comment

A mechanic friend of ours looked at the picture and thinks it is called a clutch keeper, for the positraction. Usually by the time those wear out or break, the rest of the unit is wiped out and it's time to replace the whole carrier

Comment

OK. thanks guys!

Comment

Working...
              X