X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dana 60/14 Bolt on J2000

Hey guys, I've got a 69 J-2000 Thriftside I'm working on. I was able to pick up a D60 front axle and matching 14 bolt rear, both with disc brakes. The front springs on my truck are just slightly wider than the mounting pads on the D60 but I noticed the passenger side spring pad is integrated into the center section. Will I have any issues keeping everything centered when I adjust the new spring pads? Also, the 14 bolt is the shorter than the D44 currently on the truck. Should I expect any issues with tire rub on the inner fenders and should I look for a longer 14 bolt so the front and back line up better?

Your leaf springs will move side to side ~3/8" narturally so you should be fine if you are talking about that little of a difference.

I have read that you really need to run a 14B out of a full size van as they are much wider than the truck 14B axles.

What I would do is get the D60 installed and see how the truck sits. You may need to move the rear suspension around a little to have the truck sit level. That is what I have to do when I swapped in a 60/14 combo in my 74 J10 (suspension designs are different though between your truck and mine).

Comment

Thanks for the info. I went back out and remeasured everything and the correct numbers are too much different than the D44's currently on the truck. When I measured WMS-WMS on both front and rear the new axles are actually about 2 inches wider than the 44's so I think width will not be a problem.

Comment

The issue you have with the '69 is the springs are post mount. So their mounting width is far wider than most any other axle you will find.

Most people move them under the frame like 74+ J-Trucks. This will make bolting up a Ford, GM, or Dodge front axle very easy.

Comment

Thanks, I was just looking at that yesterday. On both the front and back, the spring perches are going to pretty much right up against the end of the axle housing. Is it better to mount the springs directly under the frame or move them inboard of the frame and is there a kit I can get with all the brackets to mount to the frame? Is it better to box the frame at least around the mounting points?

Comment

If it was me, I would mount the spring hangers under the frame and yes box the frame in at least where the spring hangers will be. There isn't really a "kit" to do this, but places like Ruff Stuff Specialties (http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/) will carry everything you need.

I mentioned them because I've used their products before and was very happy with them. There are plenty of others out there though.

Comment

Thanks again, do you recommend keeping the stock spring length or a different length?

Comment

Originally posted by Hisftac View Post
                Thanks again, do you recommend keeping the stock spring length or a different length?
                That all depends on what purpuse this rig has. If its for four wheeling then I would look into a set of 52" leafs in the front and 63" leafs in the back (better flex). If its going to be more of an all around rig, then I would just stick with the stock prings as long as they are in good shape.

Comment

It's probably not going to see too much hard core off-roading. As luck would have it, the front and back frame rails are exactly the same with as the spring perches already on the axles so it doesn't look like it will be too painful. The springs are original 1969 springs (stock) but I was planning a 4" lift and it looks like moving the spring mounts may give another inch or so as well.

Comment

1: Moving the rear springs under the frame is going to give you about 6-7" of lift. Moving them under up front with a spring over setup will do about the same amount of lift.

2: Switch to stock 74+ stock height front springs. These are 2.5" wide and are a bit longer than yours.

3: If you don't want that much lift, you are going to need to figure out how to a do a spring under up front. Leave the rear springs where they are unless your 14FF is not wide enough to clear them.

Comment

Thanks guys, this should give something to get started. The front and back already have a spring-over setup.

Comment

Originally posted by Hisftac View Post
                        Thanks guys, this should give something to get started. The front and back already have a spring-over setup.
                        They, however 74+ J-Trucks had a spring under setup with the springs mounted under the frame. When you move your springs under the frame, you will be gaining 6-7 inches of lift over your current setup.

Comment

Working...
                        X