X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1965 J 200 axle swap

Hello. I just bought a 1965 J 200. It runs and has 44's on each end. I have heard that these tend to be weak. I just pulled a FREE 1981 Dodge 250 2wd rear Dana 60 with springs and all. Will this swap out and bolt into the j 200? Any ideas or recommendations.

i want to build this ride to look original, but with a 2" or so lift and 33's and just standard hwy driving for my daughter. Just want to make it more reliable and modern to work on. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Dana 44s are plenty strong enough for what you want to do with it.

And the dodge rear will swap in with fabrication. but it's not a bolt in deal. spring width will be dif,

Comment

D44's are about at their limit in stock form with 35's. You can easily run them with 33's, just don't let a tire get in the air, spin fast and drop down hard, as the momentum will snap the axle shaft. Otherwise, they are great axles (I've never broken a D44 personally). For the modern aspect, yes, later model D44's are plentiful, parts are everywhere, and they are inexpensive compared to older models.

Comment

The stock D44's on a '65 are junk. They are 19 spline, 2 piece, (very weak) and closed knuckle up front. Find a set from a 70+ FSJ's and you will be far happier.

That dodge axle may work, although you need to check its width. You will need to find something for the front to match it.

Comment

I appreciate the info. Now I am leaning toward getting a NEWER modle Dana 44 for the front of the J 200, updating those closed knuckles and getting discs also. Now if I get a 44 for the front what models should I look for that will go in, and will I have to upgrade my master cylinders? I see there are two puny little master cylinders as stock, with no brake booster. I see BJ offers master cylinders and also a booster. Thanks for the input, as I am a newbie with this old rig.

Comment

Working...
          X