X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Closed Knuckle axle rebuild

This is my first time posting so I hope i make sense. I have a 71 J4000, and the bolts came loose in the ring gear, fell out and made a mess inside . The axle is a closed knuckle dana 44. I was digging around for a while and from what i could find the carriers, ring and pinion, ect. are all the same for the dana 44 axle (not sure about the closed knuckle). So my question is can i buy bjs carrier, ring and pinion, and install kit even though it is listed for 1974 on up and it will work in my axle. I just want to make sure before I buy it. Thanks in advance for any replies.

I believe that the carrier break and R+P on that year axle is still the same as the later D44 axles. The only difference may be the spline count of the side gears inside the carrier for the inner shafts that engage the carrier.

Comment

Only my opinion. But, i think personally i would consider just picking up a good used d44. After a new carrier, ring pinion, master setup kit, and installation, (if you can't do it yourself) Your pro looking at $500-$600 you could easily pick up a newer disc front for half that, and loose the old drum brakes in the process.

Just a thought...

Comment

Thanks for the info, I thought about replacing the whole axle, (and this may sound dumb) but i would like to keep it original. If you are talking about the axle splines, jeeping1974, I looked and I do have 30 spline inners in my axle which i also think the newer axles also have. i thought i read that the pinion yoke spline count might be different, but i am not sure, any info on that would be appreciated.

Comment

Early d44s did come with a 10 spline yoke. I have heard dif stories on what years. but they all end up around 68' to 71 being the last years. so maybe there are some around your year. easiest way to find out is pull it and look. Won't take 10 min...

Comment

If it is different, there should be plenty of "newer used" D44 yokes on e-bay that can be had for cheap.

Comment

Working...
            X