X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 85 GMC 2500 Axles

Hey guys, I have found an 85 GMC K2500 for sale. I haven't had a chance to go look at it yet but should it have the D60/14B axles under it? It is supposed to be a running truck and I would like to use the axles (and maybe some other parts) in my 69 J2000 Thriftside. I can get the whole truck for around $1500.00.

If its a gas truck (most are), then it will have either a 10B or D44 front axle that is 8 lug. The rear will still be 14B though. Gear ratio will probably be 3.73 or 4.10.

Comment

I looked at it today. It is 350 (gas) with a 4 speed manual and 4.10 gears. Do you know if the 14B should be a full floater? I've tried looking up on the web to see what the front and rear axles should be but couldn't find anything definitive.

Comment

It depends on the GVWR. The Semi-Float 14C was also used. Its very easy to tell though. The 14FF has a big hub sticking through the center of the wheel with 8 bolts on it. And the diff cover is kind of diamond shaped.

The 14C has a roundish cover and not hubs sticking through the center of the wheels.

Photo of hub:

And I am sure the front is going to be a 10B with 8 lug hubs. Very very few 2500's got D60's.

Comment

Thanks guys, I think I'm going to pass on the truck. I looked at the picture again and the rear wheels have the stock hub caps on them so I'm pretty sure it's a semi floater. All I would be able to use is maybe the rear end and motor and I can find a FF and motor cheaper.

Comment

If the truck is an 8 lug, then the 14B is full floating. If the 14B is a 6 lug, then it is a semi-floating axle. Just because it has the hub caps on it, don't think that it is one or the other. A lot of the older chevy 8 lug trucks had hub caps over the wheels.

The only 2500 that would have D60 are those that had diesels. Otherwise they got a HD 10B or a HD D44 front axle.

Comment

Working...
            X