X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glove compartment switch?

I have a '78 Wagoneer Limited with the 401, Dana 44, and full time 4 wheel. It has the emergency switch in the glove compartment. My questions are first: How do I know if the switch is working? and second: What exactly does it do? I know that it is for wheel spin. Other than that, all I know is what the manual says. I was wondering if anyone can give me an explanation that is a little more 'layman'? If it is working properly, how do I use it, and what actually happens to the wheels when it is engaged. Any help would be welcomed! Thanks!

the glovebox switch applies vacuum to a little diaphragm on the tcase (technically, it reroutes vacuum) and locks the front and rear output shaft together for a true 4wd. You will notice that it pulls much harder on dirt when engaged, where-as on the road, when you try to go around a turn, you will have major hop (be careful, as you can destroy the case by doing this).

Comment

Thanks, Ryan! I am going to try to figure out whether or not it is working over the next week or so. I'm trying to get the Monster ready for winter, and this is high on my to-do list. What would be the best way to test it? Can I disconnect the vacuum lines and check them with a meter, or is just engaging it the best way? Ideas?

78 Monster

Comment

Working...
      X