X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ford (Sterling) 10.5 rear end?

I'm in the planning stages of bringing my 69 J2000 thriftside back to life. I want to upgrade the axles and I can get a set from a 05-06 F-250 for around $1500. As I understand it would be a D60 high pinion in the front and a sterling 10.5 in the rear. Is this a good option or am I creating more problems than it's worth? I know I will have to get new spring pads on both axles.

That dana 60 front axle is going to have ball joints, a one piece unit bearing style hub and be driver side drop. The rear axle is fine though.

If you are running the stock drivetrain, then you probably will have a passenger side drop t-case. If that is the case, I would look for a Chevy D60/14B set instead as that front axle will have the diff on the same side as the front output on the t-case. Plus, you'll have king pins instead of ball joints and wheel bearings instead of one piece unit bearings. Plus there are so many sets out there that they can be had for relatively cheaper money that that 05-06 set.

If you have swapped out the drivetrain and now have a driver side drop t-case, then I would look for a late 80s Ford D60/D60 or D60/10.25 set. This front axle will have the diff on the driver's side and still have the king pins and wheel bearings. Not to mention will probably be cheaper than that 05-06 set.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I have seen a couple sets of 14B/D60 combinations advertised as well so I may check them out. I haven't decided on the drive train yet. I have the original Buick 350/T15/D20 drive train but I'm leaning toward either the 5.7 Vortec or 6.0 Chevy followed by a 700R4. Not sure about the transfer case but I have heard good things about the NP205.

Comment

There are plenty of companies out there offering all sorts of adaptors that will allow you to bolt up almost any t-case to the 700R4. Once you figure out what t-case you want to go with, then you can figure out what set of axles you want.

Comment

Working...
        X