Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Max tire size for D44/AMC 20 on my FSJ...

What is the max tire size you guys are running? I did my research, and I'm seeing between 35" and 38"s.

I plan on running 35"s Goodyear/

My Jeep has the D44 front and the AMC 20 rear. I plan on locking the rear (Detroit maybe, or Aussie, or something) and a limited in the Front D44.

I already have 31" on there now (thank you mr sawzall), and will do the SOA/SF for the lift.

Skill over skinny pedal.

Thanks all

35's would be about the max I would run on Dana 44's and / or AMC 20's. I know some people do larger but 35's seem to the the tire that will make the axles still live.

Comment

Most people will tell you that you can get away with running 35s. IMHO. if you plan on running any kind of locker, or doing any REAL offroading. (more than fire trails) they wont last. you can do the chromo axle thing. but at that price you can just pick up a pair of 60s.

2 weeks ago i snapped a front 1.5" 35 spline inner shaft on my D70. and i wasnt flogging it. just got bound up in the right spot.

Comment

Originally posted by chief1ton View Post
        Most people will tell you that you can get away with running 35s. IMHO. if you plan on running any kind of locker, or doing any REAL offroading. (more than fire trails) they wont last.

Done quite a bit of 'real wheeling' with 35's of Dana 44's, never broke and axle or axle ujoint. It probably helps that I am fuel injected so I have smooth power when I want it... No belching and coughing through the carb up the hills.

Comment

Thanks all. I keep forgetting my FSJ is quite heavier than my XJ I had. I can't get away with D44s anymore running 35"s

Comment

Unless you really like smashing thr throttle, 35's would be fine.

I have beat on my axles for years now with no issues. Granted I have a 258, but it has actually seen quite a bit of wide open throttle use. And the 258 has more than enough torque to break an axle.

This is in my J10, 258, T176, NP208, D44/M20 with 4.56's and a detroit in back running TSL's.

Comment

Working...
            X