X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Offset to centered rear axle swap.

What vehicles should I be looking at for a centered rear diff. that would work in my79 Cherokee w/t and have the same ratios? I am swapping out the old Quadra-Trac.

If you go true centered your driveline will hit the fuel tank.

Best swap but requires more work would be a 1976-79 J-10 as it is wider so it would match your front axle width. The J-trucks used the same offset whether it was Q-trac or Dana 20.

I have a centered NP208 in my 79 Cherokee and I used the stock rear-end for a long time (with a 6-inch lift) and had no issues. I have since converted it to a J-10 axle.

Comment

Oh yea, I forgot to mention, I am putting a fuel tank up behind the rear axle, so that won't be an issue. I do like the idea of the front and rear axle being the same width though. I have read in another thread here that you would need to weld on some new perches to use the j-truck axle. is this correct? If so, are there any other bolt-on axles that could work for me without any fab work or gear ratio issues?

Comment

Yes, you would need to weld on perches to make it work.

Nothing will bolt in and be the width the J-trucks are.

Comment

You could also find a rear axle from a 74-79 WT that came with a manual transmission. These were still offset a bit, but were more centered than the QT axles.

If it was me, I would swap a D60 in and convert the front to 8 lug. Then you get a much stronger axle for only a bit more in price. But it would require a little bit more work.

Comment

Originally posted by Stuka View Post
            You could also find a rear axle from a 74-79 WT that came with a manual transmission. These were still offset a bit, but were more centered than the QT axles.
            Nope, they used the same axle in the Dana 20 Cherokee Widetracks as they did in the Quadratrac Cherokee Widetracks. Just double checked this with my Spicer books and they list the same axle shaft for a STD Xfer case and a Quadratrac Xfer case.

Comment

I would just find another rear axle that is centered out of a W/T (not a J10). the wider rear axle will hurt your turning radius. These vehicles are already not that great, they don't need any more help turning less.

Comment

Originally posted by jeeping1974 View Post
                I would just find another rear axle that is centered out of a W/T (not a J10). the wider rear axle will hurt your turning radius. These vehicles are already not that great, they don't need any more help turning less.
                ???? I have never had a 4x4 rig, not to mention most 2wd trucks, that turn as sharp as my FSJ's do... The extra 2" on each side won't matter since they turn so tight to begin with...

Comment

My J10 (reg cab/long bed) didn't have that tight of a turning radius.

Comment

Originally posted by jeeping1974 View Post
                    My J10 (reg cab/long bed) didn't have that tight of a turning radius.
                    That would be wheelbase related, not rear axle width.

Comment

True, those LWB J10s are a bit longer.

Comment

Working...
                      X