Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 86 rear D44 factory locker/limited slip?

Yea, my 86 GW came with some kind of factory rear locker, or limited slip...I had the original window sticker that told me the name of it, but i've currenty lost it..bout to change gearing, and was wondering if it was a limited slip if there were new clutch packs offered so i can replace the old ones while i'm in there.., and what friction additive to use? What ever it is, it locks up good, and works well..
    ________
    herbalaire vaporizer review
    Last edited by dustybo; 05-04-2011, 10:47 AM.

It is a trac-loc, which is a clutch based limited slip. They work fine when new, but they wear out really fast. If you are going to regear, and you want a limited slip, I would say go for a detroit tru-trac. No clutches to wear out, and the provide good traction. The rebuild kit for the trac-loc is around 250 bucks I think.

Comment

1991 Grand Wagoneer dana44 front and rear.
      Can I install a factory trac-loc from a rear axel (86 dana44 spare axle) into my front axle?

Comment

Originally posted by GMan View Post
        1991 Grand Wagoneer dana44 front and rear.
        Can I install a factory trac-loc from a rear axel (86 dana44 spare axle) into my front axle?
        Yes. Front and rear D44 axles are 30 spline (for the most part - there are some older ones [early 70s and earlier] that are 19 spline) and the carriers are the same.

Comment

Originally posted by jeeping1974 View Post
          Yes. Front and rear D44 axles are 30 spline (for the most part - there are some older ones [early 70s and earlier] that are 19 spline) and the carriers are the same.
          Thanks! Sounds like I have a fun project for the weekend!

Comment

Originally posted by GMan View Post
            Thanks! Sounds like I have a fun project for the weekend!
            It should be noted you have to setup the gears when you swap carriers. If you have not done this before, it helps a lot to have a friend that has. It can take significantly longer your first time as well. It also requires some special tools.

Comment

If you are just swapping carriers, then you only need to setup backlash (measure the backlash that your current setup has now as that is what you will want with the new(er) carrier). You'll probably need to buy a shim kit as well.

Comment

Working...
              X