X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transfer case ID

Sorry new to this rebuild thing, but I need to replace the gasket on my 85 J-10 transfer case and not sure which gasket set I need.

Are there markings on the transfer case telling me what it is?

Comment

there will be a round metal tag riveted to the rear of the case, towards the center. For a 1985, it should be an NP229 (may be listed as say AM229) or an NP208 if there is no vacuum going to the tcase.

Comment

Thanks Ryan

Comment

It's an automatic, it should have the 727 right?

Comment

yes, TF727 automatic.

Comment

I am currently rebuilding the 360 out of this truck, are there any upgrades/modifications that you would suggest I do during my rebuild? A little more horsepower would be ok, just don't want to totally destroy my fuel mileage. This is going to be a daily driver. Anything you could suggest would be great! Thanks again,

Comment

cam, hei distributor, intake, carb, headers are the basics. 129hp / 245tq was stock for your year. Without going wild, you can expect the above items to net 250 / 325 tq roughly. We sell all of those items on our website.

If you want the full gamut, add in a pair of edelbrock aluminum heads. That will add another 75hp or so.

Comment

Ok I already have an Edelbrock aluminum intake, Holley 4 bbl carb, and headers, and was going to replace the crank with a cam. I've heard of the teamrush upgrade for the distributor is this worth doing or should I just get the new hei distributor?

Comment

go hei

Comment

Ok thanks again Ryan

Comment

Working...
                      X