X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NP229 not engaging in 4WD Mode

I've got a 91 Jeep GW. I recently had the transmission rebuilt now that it's all back in and working fine in 2WD, I can't get the 4WD to engage. I've checked the vacuum actuator and it is working properly. When I engage 4WD I can tell that the actuator is kicking in, because you immediately hear a clicking noise in the drive train which you can feel in the range selector. The sound almost sounds like splines skipping that aren't completely engaged. I've adjusted the rod on the actuator lever as well thinking that maybe the throw was off. Anyone have any other ideas?

most likely it's the linkage is out of adjustment (where the vacuum diaphragm is on the front side of the case). Make sure that it's going through it's full range of motion when vacuum is applied. Also, make sure the mechanic also put the vacuum hoses on the correct spots. Lastly, check the fluid level and make sure it's regular trans fluid in the tcase (dexron-mercon III or equivalent)
    Last edited by Ryan; 10-30-2012, 03:52 AM.

Comment

Problem Solved!

Well, I guess it just took a little motivation to have some 4wd working with the recent snow here in TN.

It was the linkage after all. However, it wasn't necessarily the length of the mode actuator rod, but rather the lever on the transfer case was upside down! Apparently the folks who rebuilt the transmission and reinstalled the transfer case must've taken the lever off instead of just unclipping the rod from the actuator. Oh well, it works, no light on dash, but it's in 4wd, and I can change range as well. Thanks again for the advice!

Cameron

Comment

Working...
      X