X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• transfer case ????

I have a 1986 GW with the NP228 transfer case. what year GW will have the better NP229 case that will swap in with no mods? What year will have the 208 that will swap with minimal mods? Also am considering a GM swap. What year vehicles will swap (motor trans tc) prefer the early tbi. thanks Dan

80-85 and 87-91 have the 229 (some had 219 and some had 208), and the 229 was only behind an automatic. If you want a decent tcase upgrade, go to the 208 which will bolt right up w/o special adapters, and is vacuum free and no viscous couplers. Only downside is that you will have to modify the rear driveshaft ($150 or under).

Comment

with the 208 will i have to cut a new hole in the floor for the shift lever??? i assume the 208 has to come from jeep??? will a 208 from a gm or ford work??? also will need a floor shift lever for the tc??? sorry for all the ??? this is my first rebuild of a jeep, mainly build gm (go fast cars). thanks dan

Comment

No, the 208 and the 229/219/228 all share the same floor shifter location. You can use the 228 linkage, but it will have the wrong markings on the handle. Or, when you buy a 208, you can also buy the linkage / shifter handle if you prefer. The NP208 is from a 1980-1987 Full Size Jeep. While there are other 208's from other lines, they aren't bolt-ups, only the jeep version.

Comment

Working...
        X