X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driveline clunk

I have heard about some of the issues that plague the Q/T when not maintained. I just picked up a new J truck today with a 401/TH400/QT combo. The previous owner said that he rebuilt the t-case because when he got it all the clutches in it were bad along with the low range unit because the owner before him had manual hubs on it. He said he put a new chain in it and said it didn't make any noises anymore along with donor parts from several cases to make it work properly. I drove it home today and when I go from park to reverse there is a noticeable clunk coming from beneath the vehicle and I suspect the t-case but while driving it also makes quieter clunks while going from acceleration to deceleration and visa versa with the loading and unloading of the drivetrain. When going from park to drive i have no noise though. My question is specific noises the Q/T makes and when. I have read around and heard that it can't make a loud bang when shifting and ratcheting noises under hard acceleration. I am really hoping that maybe I am just gonna find some really bad u joints or something but I thought I would get some input from the experts and see what you think.

Inspect your motor and tranny mounts. I have the same noise and the mounts were bad. Installed some new ones and the noise went away.

Comment

yep, check mounts first, then chain slack after that.

Comment

the motor mounts are new poly mounts with less than 1000 miles on them. I will check the tranny mount.

Comment

Tranny mount and engine mounts are fine. It is a split between the D44 axle shaft joints and slop in the spline engagement in between the TH400/QT combo. Both are clunking.

Comment

I'd probably go back to chain. Have you had someone lay near it while going in / out of gear to have them pinpoint the location where the clunk is coming from? That would probably help narrow it down.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan View Post
              yep, check mounts first, then chain slack after that.
              I finally got around to checking the chain slack. I have exactly 1/2 inch of slack. Good or Bad?

Comment

1/2" of slack isn't bad. Also, check out this link:
                http://www.ifsja.org/tech/tcase/slipstik.html

Comment

Working...
                X