X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reverse Shackles

Is there any advantage to reversing the front shackles on my 79 Cherokee?
    I am doing a spring over conversion and going to run 37's on it when done. Thanks for any info

Robert

There is some debate about that. IMHO the only real benefit is ride quality. it will eas the ride going down the road some. As the springs will spring up and back when you hit bump, instead of trying to move forward. However to do the reversal you will have to lower your front mount somewhere in the range of 8" Don't know the exact # But basically you will have a huge peer sticking down in front.

Comment

I did a reversal on my J-20 and it did help the ride and it also lets the spring move more naturally. Now I did not have to build 8" mounts in the front.

Comment

I would be interested to see how yours is setup. The mounting points for the front and rear of the spring are not at the same level. add to that a shackle in the rear and the rear is even lower. the only way to keep your springs level. "The way they should be" would be to lower the front mount accordingly.

Comment

this is in the middle of doing a SOA mod but this is what I did. I still plan to cut it all up and redo it some day.
          [URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/248/dscn0250ts.jpg/]

Comment

Must admit. doesn't look bad. however i can clearly see your front mount is considerably taller than factory. Close to 5"? and your springs are clearly not level. Which is all i was pointing out. To make them level. That mount would have to be even taller than it is already. But if it works. Then it work! No complaints here. i have many things i have done WAY out of the norm. just cause it suited my purpose.

Comment

you can also cut a hole and weld a slug into the frame and have the shackle sit more in to the frame. I didn't have the time at school to do it that is why I did what I did. I plan to four link it some day but that is way down the road. I have to get my 12V first.

Comment

Ya i considered pointing that out. Thats the way chevy did it for years.

Comment

Working...
                X