X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BJ's 4" lift problems

Started putting my BJ's 4" lift on my 1986 J10 longbox truck with 360 auto tonight. I realized that the rear E brake cables are too short. Not necesaryly the cable itself but the cable shield or housing. there is really no adjusting the shield it goes from a bracket on the inside of the frame to the rear backing plate. Does anyone make extentions or longer cables for this problem.

stock cables fit with our 6" lift, and being that the 4" lift is smaller, it will work with that as well. You need to disconnect it from the middle section during installation. Then, to reconnect, you need to have full weight on the ground and reconnect and adjust.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan View Post
      stock cables fit with our 6" lift, and being that the 4" lift is smaller, it will work with that as well. You need to disconnect it from the middle section during installation. Then, to reconnect, you need to have full weight on the ground and reconnect and adjust.
      Well its not the cable itself, I have plenty of adjustment at the middle point, Its the housing/sheath that clips to the frame and rear brake backing plate. I dont see any way to adjust that and it is fiddle string tight. I'll look at it again today to make sure there is no way to gain a little. Ideally I need a 2 inch longer cable sheath

Comment

you may have to remove it from that clip on the frame. Can you email me a picture to ryan@bjsoffroad.com?

Comment

Well I did some research today and the original replacement cable is supposed to be 83 1/4" long and the sheath is supposed to be 74 9/16 inches long. I measured the one I took off my jeep and while it was 83 1/4 total length the sheath was only 72 1/2 long so I dont know if they were changed at some point or if they are just making the replacements 2 inches longer but I ordered two of them and that should correct the problem.

Comment

I too had the issue on my wagoneer, I ended up just cutting the cables out for now.

Comment

Originally posted by 83AbramsTank360 View Post
              I too had the issue on my wagoneer, I ended up just cutting the cables out for now.
              We have done 6" lifts on all years of FSJ's and have NEVER had to cut out a cable. All you have to do is remove the retaining clip on the frame.

Comment

Working...
              X