X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ball Joint Question

I just replaced the rag joint hoping that would solve my wandering problem, but it did not. Everything is new in the front end except the ball joints including the gear box and alignment.
    I unhooked the tie rod ends and when I turn the wheels back and fourth, the right side is very tight. Is that a good thing or bad thing?

1989 Wagoneer....money pit.

the wandering can come from bad tires, ball joints, worn TRE's, bad rag joints, bad steering box, improper set up with the axle, etc. If you've replaced the rag joint, box and done an alignment and it still wanders, I would look at the tie rod ends as worn TRE's can account for a lot of slop. What did the alignment shop say? During their alignment, they should have test driven it to make sure it was good, and if it wandered, should have suggested the reason why.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan View Post
      What did the alignment shop say? During their alignment, they should have test driven it to make sure it was good, and if it wandered, should have suggested the reason why.
      The alignment shop should have checked everything before the alignment and if there was anything that needed to be replaced, they shouldn't have aligned it until those items were replaced.

Comment

I agree and I will ask them the same. However, I've owned over forty cars, trucks, (all 4x4s) and have never experienced steering issues like this.

I have a real concern for replacing ball joints and not correcting the problem.

Not your problem...I know.

Comment

how old are your existing ball joints? And, details about your truck: lifted or not? stock size tires or larger tires? How old are the tires too?

Comment

Do you have any lift? After market wheels? Condition of spring/shackle bushings?

Bad ball joints can certainly cause wandering, but it typically results in poorly wearing tires more so than wandering.

Comment

Originally posted by Stuka View Post
              Do you have any lift? After market wheels? Condition of spring/shackle bushings?

Bad ball joints can certainly cause wandering, but it typically results in poorly wearing tires more so than wandering.
              This is a 1989 stock Grand Wagoneer (125Kmiles), no lift, tires are wearing perfectly. Not sure if ball joints have been replaced or not. Springs and bushings appear to be ok. Shocks are new front and rear.

Refering to request in first post, I unhooked tie rod ends and when turning the tires back and fourth, the right side is real stiff. Would this indicate bad ball joints? The left side turns with ease.

Comment

Working...
              X