X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '71 Non-tilt lower steering column bearing

Hey guys, i have been looking around for some time for the lower steering column bearing for my '71 J4000, and have found many forms on what bearings to use and the such for a newer tilt column but nothing for a 1971 Non-tilt column, if anybody has any info please help.
    ps- i would like to replace the top bearing also if anyone has info on that.
    Any help is appreciated.

all of our books are for the later columns. You might try searching an AMC forum for cars, as they might have a source. That, or find good used bearings.

Comment

Would AMC cars be the same, I heard somewhere the columns are the same as a chevy but I'm not sure if thats true or not, I'm going home this weekend to get a good look at it and maybe snap some pics if you think that would help.

Comment

I believe the 76 and later were a GM style or similar, but have no idea about the earlier models

Comment

I checked our parts books and it looks like that lower bearing is unavailable to us. Sorry!

Comment

Looks like yours is the same as a 69-71 Chevy column. It "should" be 7805700, fits 69 to 71

Comment

Thanks guys, i'll go to the parts stores when i get time and see if it looks right.
              Thanks again.

Comment

did you have a chance to compare them?

Comment

Might be to late to help, but here goes.

Most bearings like the type found in a steering column are made by Timkin or NSK. Find the Timkin or NSK number that is on the bearing somewhere. Then go to a parts store. I do not mean like a ShucksAuto/Pep/Quest/Zone. I mean somewhere that has the books to look stuff up in and the guy who can use them. These new parts store just tick me off. Using a bearing cross reference manual you can get a new bearing. Chances are that bearing can not only be found in a Chevy. It could be in a Hoover as well. I am not joking either.

The is also a bearing source I have used in the past, but I do not know if it is okay to post links to other retailers here.

Comment

Working...
                  X