X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power Steering Pump Pulley

It was cold yesterday, but my belt starting squeaking on the way home from the mountain. I figured it was because of the cold, but it didn't let up. I stopped and opened the hood and it looks like the Power steering pulley is wobbling just a little bit. I can replace the pulley right without buying a whole new pump? Or do you think my belt just needs to be tightened? I really don't think the pulleys are suppose to move at all.

'83 Cherokee Chief 6 cylinder

Thanks

I would check the pump mounting bolts and bracket first. If those are tight, I'd try tightening the belt. If it still wobbles, then odds are your pump bearings are shot, which is allowing the shaft to wobble.

Comment

Well, it stopped on it's own. I really think it was the cold. Once it warmed back up, it hasn't squeeked at all. My dad always said if it's not broken, don't fix it. Thanks guys.

Comment

So it is the pulley, started squeaking, and I can actually wiggle the pullley back and forth. Auto Zone doesn't carry the pulley, just the pump and press, for $90 on your site, that is pretty pricey, plus I still need to rent a press to put it on. What other suggestions do you have?

Comment

You don't use a press to install a pulley. If you used a press you would push the shaft of the pump right through the back of the pump. Auto Zone should be able to loan you the proper pulley remover/installer. It's actually a big bolt with a special attachment that slips into the groove on the pump. Most places don't carry the pulley because the pulley's don't just go bad, it's always the pump intself. Save yourself the money, rent the tool, get a new pump and pop your pulley on. Ifthe pulley has a lot of belt residue on it from slipping, because that's where the squak comes from, the easiest way to clean it is with a wire wheel on a bench grinder. Any questions feel to message me.

Comment

I'm sorry let me clarify. The puller slips onto the groove machined onto the front of the pulley. If the pulley truely is the culprit, you would not have power steering, because the pulley would just spin on the pump shaft.

Comment

Working...
            X