X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NEW PUMP WONT STEER!!

I just replaced the power steering pump on my 75 Cherokee. Now the truck wont steer, it has plenty fluid, no leaks but the steering is super hard. What could be wrong?

either lines are on backwards, there is a blockage, or something is wrong with the pump. Did you install per the FSM? Did you bleed it properly? Which pump did you use?

Comment

Hi Ryan. I used a standard OEM rebuilt pump from the autoparts store. Yes, I flushed and bled the air out of the system. neither line was disconnected from the steering box it was just a straight swap of the pump and reseirvor (I reused my old reseirvor and had a local shop install the new pump and press the pulley on for me . Pressure line is a threaded connection and the return line is just a hose with a clamp so impossible to swap. I dont think there is a blockage because the fluid flows great out of the return line (about a quart every couple of seconds). I replaced the pump because the old pump began to squeal> Before the old pump starter to make noise the truck would steer with ease. My tie rods and all steering components are in great shape and well greased up.

Comment

Well sounds like you have a steering box problem, OR you simply got a bad pump. just because there is flow from the pump does not mean there is pressure. what method did you use to bleed the system?

Comment

The steering was fine and steered effortlessly even when the old pump was making noise. The old pump was only about a month old (replaced when original pump was leaking badly) and then one morning when i was warming up truck it started to squeal badly and would not stop. i replaced with new pump and all problems began.

To bleed I disconnected the return line at the pump, capped the nipple off. placed the hose inside a clear bottle and turned the engine on a few seconds at a time untill all fluid was coming out without bubbles. Then what little had leaked out of the return line I replaced with a syringe and replaced back onto the nipple. i used about 5 quarts to bleed and flush system>

Comment

Originally posted by chief1ton View Post
            Well sounds like you have a steering box problem, OR you simply got a bad pump. just because there is flow from the pump does not mean there is pressure. what method did you use to bleed the system?
            One question... My autoparts store has a steering box for a 1975 Jeep J-20 truck with a 360 4 barrel. I have a 75 cherokee 2-door with the same engine. Will that steering box work? I have seen posts of people upgrading to a J-20 but cant find any now.

Comment

STEERING BOX QUESTION

One question... My autoparts store has a steering box for a 1975 Jeep J-20 truck with a 360 4 barrel. I have a 75 cherokee 2-door with the same engine. Will that steering box work? I have seen posts of people upgrading to a J-20 steering box but cant find any now. I have 35" tires and a 6" lift

Comment

To bleed the system. simply put the front end on jackstands, engine OFF, turn the wheel lock to lock about a dozen times. start it up and check for bubbles. if none your done, if it bubbles do it again, and repeat till theres no bubbles.

On a side note, please don't take this as a dumb@$$ question. but i have to ask. are you sure the noise your hearing isn't your belt slipping? a slipping belt will cause hard steering.

As far as the j20 box swap. i could be wrong, i'm not real well versed on the trucks, but there should be no dif that would benefit you. what you have is a saginaw 800 series box. there are dif in them, but it things like the input spline and pitman shaft. nothing that will make it steer better.

Comment

The J20 boxes are different. They are visibly larger, and contain larger gears inside. The mounts are the same (year for year), so you can easily put it on. The ratio is slightly different as well as I recall.

Comment

Yea man... You don't open the system to bleed the power steering. Turn the wheel lock to lock and then check fluid level in between turns

Comment

and do that with the front end on stands or supports, makes it easier and puts less strain on the pump while bleeding

Comment

Working...
                      X