X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tailgate switch replacement kit

I ordered and received the kit middle of last month and instructions for install weren't available at the time. I saw on the newsletter the kit now has install instructions but a copy of the instructions don't seem to be available anywhere online. possible to get a copy?

Thank you

We are still working on the final version, but here are the basics:

Tailgate Switch Instructions

1. Disconnect battery
    2. Remove carpet from tailgate
    3. Remove tailgate regulator access cover
    4. Remove clips that hold glass lifter bar to regulator
    5. Remove zip ties holding wiring to lifter bar.
    6. Disconnect both defrost wire clips on each end (if equipped)
    7. Remove glass from tailgate, being careful to support glass during removal so it doesn't break.
    8. Remove 6 screws holding regulator to tailgate. Note that the regulator arms are under extreme spring pressure, and can skip teeth, causing the passenger side arm to move towards the top of the tailgate very fast. It is recommended to keep clear of the path of the arm during removal, as much as possible
    9. You may have to apply power to the tailgate motor to gain access to all 6 screws. If this is required, I recommend keeping as many screws as possible installed to keep the regulator from shifting / moving. Note that there are threaded spacers installed under the regulator that the screws pass through. These will need to be reinstalled on the underside of the regulator prior to reinstallation (put the screws through the holes in the regulator, then underneath, reinstall the spacers and thread them all the way on until they are seated and spin freely).
    10. Disconnect the tailgate motor harness
    11. Disconnect the defrost switch from the harness (if equipped) and move wiring out of the way.
    12. Remove regulator assembly from tailgate (again, be careful of the regulator arms)
    13. Lift tailgate up, slide lock cover to side and remove two torx or allen screws, and remove cover.
    14. Remove 3 screws holding the lock base to tailgate, remove along with gasket and set aside. Make sure the square shaft in the back of the lock base comes out.
    15. Set tailgate back down
    16. remove both 5/16" self-tapping screws that hold the existing switch in place
    17. remove switch through driver's side of access plate
    18. disconnect the wire clip from the switch through two little holes on either side of switch. This will release the switch from the metal switch holder (retain the holder as you will reuse it).
    19. mark each of the wires with tape and number them according to which position they will go on the new switch, as follows:
    20. Open the existing factory wiring connector where all 5 of the tailgate wires merge
    21. Cut off each metal end, then strip off only enough wire for the new connectors
    22. Crimp the supplied ends onto the existing wires, and wrap any exposed wires with electric tape and / or heat shrink wrap
    23. Install the existing wires with new connectors onto the new switch in the correct positions
    a. Wires from the Harness Coming Through the Tailgate:
    i. Tan: to Port #6 on switch
    ii. Brown: to Port #1 on switch
    iii. Orange: to Port #4 on switch
    b. Wires from the safety switch / motor:
    i. Tan: to Port #5 on switch
    ii. Brown: to Port #2 on switch
    c. Black wire included in kit:
    i. Black: gang with Orange wire, crimp, install on port #4 on switch; then run other end of black wire to port #3 on switch
    24. Install adapter onto new switch with the U-shape facing upwards, same orientation as the switch. Install one nut and tighten, then install second nut and tighten (be careful not to over tighten).
    25. Place switch into the existing switch holder with the text on the new switch facing out so you can read it. Install and tighten the small Phillips head screws with lock washers to secure the new switch onto the switch holder. Make sure to double check clearance for top of new switch where it meets the existing switch holder.
    26. Connect the regulator wiring to the switch, and make sure all parts are clear and that there are no bare wires.
    27. Reconnect the battery and do a very short test to make sure the motor operates when the new switch is engaged. If all works properly, disconnect battery, disconnect switch from tailgate motor, and begin reinstallation. If it does not work or the switch is operating opposite of the switch (ie: down makes it go up, or vice versa), then double check that all wires are going to the correct ports as noted above. If so, it may be necessary to switch the two brown wires or to switch the two tan wires.
    28. When reinstalling switch into tailgate, make sure that all wires are oriented so that the switch will slide under the access panel without making any wire to metal contact.
    29. Reinstall all parts in reverse order, and make sure to re-zip tie wiring to the same locations, and make sure all wires are clear of any moving parts, are not pinched and there are no exposed / bare wires anywhere.

Also, at this time you may want to consider drilling two access holes in the tailgate to make lifter bar clip removal and reinstallation easier. If you do this, you will need to either fabricate or buy some sort of covers for the open holes to keep the elements out. After having fought to reinstall clips and remove them in the past, I prefer this method to save a lot of time. I used a 2” metal hole-saw to drill my holes.

Comment

Working...
    X